Could I feed them vegan?

I just have to throw this out here...

I can't see how chicken keeping can be considered a hobby a vegan could in good conscience have unless you keep an equal amount of roosters and hens since a natural hatch would average 50/50. That usually isn't feasible unless you have enough space to keep the roos separate. Otherwise it would be cruel to the hens and overall miserable for you.

If you only keep hens then it can be said that you are indirectly supporting the destruction of their counterparts. If those roos aren't sold as meat birds, then they are sold to meat rendering facilities for pet food where they don't get raised, not even fed a single meal, but rather go straight to the grinder.

I agree with what others are saying, it would be very difficult to raise healthy chickens on vegan feed if you could even find it. Some people have even had trouble with vegetarian feed for their chickens. Some claim that it made their chickens more aggressive with each other and encouraged cannibalism. These are only personal accounts, however.
If you can, get a vegetarian feed and allow them to free range most of the time so they get plenty of animal proteins through bugs and small animals. I don't think it would be a good idea to raise chickens on a vegan diet if they won't be able to free-range much. It's certainly no more natural than the way factory meats are produced to force a chicken to live on a diet that it's not meant to eat.
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting chickens as a vegan, and what do you plan to do with the eggs?
Absolutely agree. Chickens require protein (what the heck is in that egg, tofui)? You deny them the necessary protein, they will find another way to meet their nutritional needs. Eggs are one of the best protein sources in nature. A chicken's body cannot maintain healthy egg production if they are denied basic amino acids that are only found in animal protein...anyone ever see a chicken shopping at Whole Foods....
lau.gif

I can't see how chicken keeping can be considered a hobby a vegan could in good conscience have unless you keep an equal amount of roosters and hens since a natural hatch would average 50/50. That usually isn't feasible unless you have enough space to keep the roos separate. Otherwise it would be cruel to the hens and overall miserable for you.

If you only keep hens then it can be said that you are indirectly supporting the destruction of their counterparts. If those roos aren't sold as meat birds, then they are sold to meat rendering facilities for pet food where they don't get raised, not even fed a single meal, but rather go straight to the grinder.
This is a good point. Any sort of chicken breeding leads to at least 90% of males being killed. Even in nature, only the very best males survive to be the leader of the flock and mate the females, and he dies earlier than in captivity because he is the protector of his hens. Then, another strong, young male bird will take his place. Though chickens are domestic, they can live feral and this is how it works with other ground-birds as well (pheasant, turkeys, etc.) A 50/50 ratio is not natural (and cruel for the hens), the way we produce chickens is not natural, and as long as we raise chickens domestically, males will need to be killed. If I were vegan, that wouldn't be something I would want to support.
However, you could adopt some ex-battery hens that need a home. They need a special diet and special care though. They may not free range too well so I don't think feeding them vegan would be advisable...

hear, hear. Leave the chickens to people who know how to raise and feed them properly. Plant a garden, instead. I for one have gotten tired of hearing all the benefits of being a vegan....everyone has their choice in lifestyle, so more power to them...but when pressed I learn about over the counter supplements (amino acids, vitamins, etc) that are imbibed by those same folks so they don't keel over like the walking dead, I don't tell people I am a bacon fanatic like it's a medal of honor...and I expect the same from people who share a different philosophy.

This is a good point. Any sort of chicken breeding leads to at least 90% of males being killed. Even in nature, only the very best males survive to be the leader of the flock and mate the females, and he dies earlier than in captivity because he is the protector of his hens. Then, another strong, young male bird will take his place. Though chickens are domestic, they can live feral and this is how it works with other ground-birds as well (pheasant, turkeys, etc.) A 50/50 ratio is not natural (and cruel for the hens), the way we produce chickens is not natural, and as long as we raise chickens domestically, males will need to be killed. If I were vegan, that wouldn't be something I would want to support.
However, you could adopt some ex-battery hens that need a home. They need a special diet and special care though. They may not free range too well so I don't think feeding them vegan would be advisable...

Unfortunately, you are correct regarding battery hen chickens. I initially was against the proposition in California regarding the subject, and voted against it. After a little research, I am glad that it passed. I now have three free range chickens who are happy as clams at low tide. But once again, unfortunately, the "definition" of free range chickens meant that they see the sun once in a while, and set feet on soil on occasion.Or walk about in a metal hut in their own poop...And when I see the phrases "Free Range, Vegan diet" I want to shout "How the heck?" They keep bugs away from the chickens? We are all slaves to marketing...believe nothing you hear and half of what you see...

x2 what @cluckcluckluke
said.

Some chicken feeds are mostly vegetarian, but they will get better nutrition if they have some animal protein in their diet. It's very difficult to get all the essential amino acids in the right balance from a vegetarian diet.

Unless you lock your chickens up 24/7 in an insect-screened cage, they will be eating a goodly number of insects. Possibly mice and small snakes, as well. I know some people never let their chickens out, but I think they are so much happier to spend at least a little time free-ranging.

Cats are true carnivores...they will get sick on a vegan diet. Chickens can get by on vegan/vegetarian, but they won't thrive as well.

I don't mind if they eat bugs and insects because that's nature, it's just I just don't feel right feeding them food with meat in because there is nothing natural with the way the meat was produced.

Then you might look into Fertrell fish meal, or feed made with it. As a meat eater myself, I totally hear you on the way most meat is raised. Horrible. But Fertrell fish meal is caught sustainably, cooked, then dried and only preserved with an extract of rosemary oil. It's really the best protein you can get for chickens that isn't raised horribly. Fertrell is based I think on the east coast of the USA, but perhaps they have a distributor in the U.K. Another option is to buy some canned mackerel. At least offer them something like this during winter months, when there isn't much for insects to eat.

Please just ignore the folks harassing you about being vegan. They know not what they do... They are proselytizing their own dogma even though they don't like it done to them, which I didn't see you doing.

Then you might look into Fertrell fish meal, or feed made with it. As a meat eater myself, I totally hear you on the way most meat is raised. Horrible. But Fertrell fish meal is caught sustainably, cooked, then dried and only preserved with an extract of rosemary oil. It's really the best protein you can get for chickens that isn't raised horribly. Fertrell is based I think on the east coast of the USA, but perhaps they have a distributor in the U.K. Another option is to buy some canned mackerel. At least offer them something like this during winter months, when there isn't much for insects to eat.

Please just ignore the folks harassing you about being vegan. They know not what they do... They are proselytizing their own dogma even though they don't like it done to them, which I didn't see you doing.
Wait, who harassed this person for being vegan on this thread?

I believe in letting folks leads their lives as they see fit....however, I have also seen evidence that some pets food suppliers (especially for cats, who are ultimate carnivores) push the meme for vegetarian diets, which in the long run will lead to kidney failure, among other things). Never seen a cat I owned chasing down a carrot for lunch. We can't impose our personal choices for dietary nutrition on pets that are genetically inclined for specific dietary nutrition. My stupid chickens have free range but have yet to hit the veggie garden....prefer bugs and the hunt, I guess. But I hold no animosity to those who follow a vegan regime. Different strokes...Just send me the eggs....

The chickens will suffer on a vegan diet. Actually, its impossible. They will eat insects, each others feathers, and their own eggs. Free-range chickens will eat rodents, baby birds, lizards, snakes and other animals.

You could buy or mix your own mostly vegetarian diet, but not a vegan one.

Back
Top Bottom