Could I make a coop under my porch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MommyMagpie, Aug 19, 2011.

1. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Would it be possible to convert the area under my front porch to a chicken coop? There is plenty of air circulation, although I would have to run lights in there. It's not high enough to stand up in, but it is way bigger than the shipping crate my girls live in now.

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    just consider how you are going to clean up the poo... and if it seems to be easy to do and a safe place from predators, then why not... [​IMG]

3. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    If it's secure from predators and won't be overly annoying to clean, then I say go for it!

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. You can put your coop any where. The important thing is to make sure they have enough room. [​IMG]

5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, I also agree with the theory that a coop can go anywhere. Just consider, being hunched over all the time you are in there. Odor right below you if ya don't keep it clean. Make sure it is totally enclosed and predator proof. Need good ventilation. Access to water and electricity is hugh plus and you more than likely have that somewhere nearby. All in all, it is a no brainer....do it.
    Erik

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Someone did that exact same thing but it is big enough to walk in...they build the floor and the top and fully enclosed the area into a coop....did a great job now I cannot remember who it was but you can find the thread if you search through this forum....if I remember I will post the member's name for you.

7. animaladdictions

animaladdictions Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Im thinking of doing exactly the same thing under my back deck. One end of the deck is high enough for me to stand under and then the ground gently slopes up so that Id have to crouch at the other end. The deck runs the entire length of my house so I could actually make four pretty large pens/coops. I have electricity and water connections right there so that works out too. My only concern is the above decking. Its just a regular deck, as in boards with thin slots in between. How do I keep rain from coming down onto the birds? I need a low cost solution. I think tarps would just collect water and sag. Any ideas?

Thanks!

8. Hopper

Hopper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    Ionia
    Quote:Ok not sure if I can explain this I'm more of a picture/drawing kind of gal... But from under your deck where your roost will be build a frame that angles back toward the dirt. Cover that area only with that corrugated plastic sheets. So basically build a half of an a-frame just for them to roost under. If your deck is that big you could build more than one just for your roost bars.
    Just a thought that came to me. That plastic stuff is cheap and stiff!

9. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Thank you for the replies; I am definitely going to be looking more closely at this option. There's a lot of junk under there that would have to be gotten rid of, so I'll start with that task.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by