Could I mix Chinese quails with Japanese quails in the same cage?

quailhaven

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Because I only have one cage, and I am due to have Chinese quails hatching soon.
Thanks
smile.png

Because I only have one cage, and I am due to have Chinese quails hatching soon.
I brood them together if I have less than 30 coturnix in the brooder, which for me is pretty empty, so basically make sure they have room. That way the little guys can run away if they need to. At 3 weeks old I take the buttons out and put them in a different brooder, at this age they can fly much better than coturnix will attempt to fly out every time you open the brooder.

Buttons will never be as calm or as tame as coturnix so they must always be handled like they want to escape you, because....well, they do. They'll never think of you as much more than the food monster so don't expect them to be a pets.

Can you raise them together in a cage? I don't recommend it. In an aviary it's not problem if there is sufficient space and hiding places. In a cage one or the other will get mad and you'll end up with dead birds. Button quail mate for life and should be kept in pairs, even when kept in an aviary setting.

Here is a size comparison

Full grown button.

Full grown coturnix

wow, that was really useful!! Thanks, yer I have an aviary and its quite large. But I only have the one, so I guess I will have to put a parting in it.

A lady that buys chicks from me sometimes, keeps a trio of coturnix and 2 pairs of button quail in the bottom of each aviary without issue. Her aviaries are about 8'x14' with a lot of natural looking habitat in the bottom, like driftwood, some plants and rock piles that are actually little caves for the button quail to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom