Could I use a card board box as a brooder?

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Thinking it might be easiest, put some wood shavings in there and drape the heat lamp over a wooden saw horse.

If it gets dirty and yucky I can just throw it away and use another one and it's free.

As long as the box is large enough to accommodate the chicks it will work. Just be careful about heatlamp and cardboard. I know those inexpensive brooder kit use corrigated card board as the enclosure wall, but the lanp does not usually directly on the side walls. I assume the lamp will shine on the bottom of the box and maybe some on the side wall unless it is an awfully large box. Good Luck.

If all my chicks hatch I'll have 50 of them and I was thinking of using a fridge box on its side. If I use a saw horse there will hopefully be no actual contact with the box and the light.

Cardboard boxes are all I ever use. I'm a cheapie.
hide.gif

If your box is nice and big, and you line the bottom up nicely with plastic or newspaper or something, you can actually use the box more than once. But after 2 batches I'd replace it.

I am going to use a large plastic toy box as a brooder. I thought about cardboard boxes but I have cats and I do not trust them. LOL So, I am covering the top and vent holes with hardware clothe. I can see the cats talking the dogs into knocking over the box so they can "play" with the chick. LOL Mine will be in a high security lock down for their own safety and my piece of mind. But I am lining it with cardboard for easy clean up.
I will take pics and post them as I transform my toy box.

plastic is easier as the cardboard gets all soggy from their water and their urm..poo lol but if you can replace often im sure you'll be fine

If you use a box, the first week put paper towels over the shavings. It is easy to roll it up an toss. With the newspaper, it may be better to shred it before putting it in the box because some people have had problems with chicks slipping on the full sheets of newspaper.

I used the box my water heater came in. Had 7 chicks in it until they were 6 weeks old and it was warm enough outside to move them to the coop. Since my box was in the basement, which can get damp at times, I raised the box up off the floor on top of several paint cans. Worked great. As the chicks got larger I made slits in the side of the box and ran roost poles through them. I also had to make a "lid" so they wouldn't fly out - I used and old screen window and some bungee cords (this also helped keep the dust down a bit). I suspended the heat lamp from a hook in one of the rafters and adjusted the height with a length of chain to make it warmer or cooler. I used pine shavings as bedding and changed and refreshed as needed. I had the waterer raised up on a plank or two of wood and that helped keep them from playing in it and making a mess. I almost forgot! I lined the box with heavy weight plastic so the box is "like new" for this year's batch of chicks.

plastic is easier as the cardboard gets all soggy from their water and their urm..poo lol but if you can replace often im sure you'll be fine

That's why I mentioned plastic or newspaper - Line the bottom with such then put bedding over the top and you won't have soggy issues.

Back
Top Bottom