Could I use a dog house for a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Jul 31, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I am considering making a run (which will be enclosed with chicken wire on all sides) and since I'll only have a few girls using a basic dog house design for a coop, I will make it a bit bigger so there is room for them to move around in there, the roof will be hinged and lift up so I can get the eggs and clean it. Also do they need to have a heat lamp or will grown chickens be able to stay warm on their own? I know I need to keep their water from freezing but other than that will Chickens do fine in Ohio winters without a heat lamp.

This is a pic of the type of dog house
    I'll use the size that is for an xl dog (160lbs) Size is Exterior:38"L x 32"W x 32"H with a Door Opening: 14"L x 18"W. How many girls would that hold?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. mystang89

mystang89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Louisville
    If I've done the math right that will give you about 8.4 sq ft. They say to give a bird 4 sq ft so that would give you enough room for 2 birds. I'm not sure if you plan on putting nesting area in there for them but that takes up a bit more room, then you have roosting, if you want them to roost in there. My math could be wrong, I'm no expert.

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Personally I'd say you'd be fine for three chickens if they have a nice run and some free ranging time. Of course, this is all subjective personal opinion.

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I am with mystang that is about enough room for 2 but you still need accessories like roost, bedding . Are you thinking adding nest box to outside ? Food , water outside ?? Wouldn't need a heat lamp they keep each other warm.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

2-3 max. [​IMG]

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Well after talking with my DH I've decided it's going to be 4 1/2 ft by 4 1/2 ft or 5ft by 5ft. I have a few milk crates to use as nesting boxes (I made them for my rabbit based on a design for chickens). Food and water will be outside.

They will have a sizable run, so plenty of room to stretch their legs. Also run will have perches for them.

7. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Hi, I did something like this. I have a LARGE coop but then I got another breed of chicken. [​IMG] So I had the 4x10 run space for this breed. I just built the coop and connected it to the coop. It is 4 tall, 4 wide, 4 foot deep. I made the roost about 2 1/2 high and put in 2 nesting boxes made out of new plastic dishwashing pans. I have the wire on the back side half up and will cover it in the winter w/hinge. It is also close enough to the other coop I will add a heat light in the winter. I am in Arkansas so it is not too bad cold in the winter. We get snow in my area about 3 days out of the year.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I will eventually add a third nesting box but I really never plan on having more than one roo and 3 hens for this space.

9. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks to all that replied, I picked up wood today from the pallet place so I'll be able to either make a 4 x4 coop or a 4 x 8 coop. I've not decided what I want to do yet. I do think I'm going to have the front of it drop down instead of the top lift up, just seems better for cleaning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by