Could I use an aviary as a chicken coop?

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
What do you think of this idea? In the future we would like to have a large coop for maybe 12 hens. Do you think an aviary would work? I thought of an aviary because they are roomy and have plenty of ventilation, which is important in our tropical climate. We would still have a large run for the hens.

Just make sure they have shade/protection from rain, a windbreak, and really good fencing (1/2 inch hardware cloth). You can give them a huddle box in case they get cold: (this is one of my most FAVORITE coop designs that I have ever seen on BYC)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/377365/our-new-coop-pic-heavy-updates-post-93

They will feel more secure if they cannot look around and see the scary predators staring at them all night.

Oh and don't forget to apron out the hardware cloth at the bottom or bury it to prevent diggers from getting your chickens.

Last edited:
Just make sure they have shade/protection from rain, a windbreak, and really good fencing (1/2 inch hardware cloth). You can give them a huddle box in case they get cold: (this is one of my most FAVORITE coop designs that I have ever seen on BYC)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/377365/our-new-coop-pic-heavy-updates-post-93

They will feel more secure if they cannot look around and see the scary predators staring at them all night.

Oh and don't forget to apron out the hardware cloth at the bottom or bury it to prevent diggers from getting your chickens.
Wow, that is an awesome design. I'm sooo jealous. It must taken a lot of time to build.
I have only ever lost one chicken to a predator, which was the neighbour's cat (we are in suburbia). This aviary idea would only be used if we moved out of town a bit, and even then it is rare to see a feral cat or snake on a proprerty and there are no foxes (we are in NT, Aus). So I'm not really worried about predators, but I'll keep your advice in mind. I thought the height of the aviary could be exploited through ramps leading up to nests, roosts etc.

What do you think of this idea? In the future we would like to have a large coop for maybe 12 hens. Do you think an aviary would work? I thought of an aviary because they are roomy and have plenty of ventilation, which is important in our tropical climate. We would still have a large run for the hens.
What kind of an aviary, can you post pic?

ETA: oh, and where are you located?

Last edited:
That could work....not sure if the screening would hold up to predators if need be.

In Territory country there is small chance that a predator would attack within a fenced property, although I see your point. However ventilation is very important in a humid climate such as this, so screening should ideally play a big part in poultry housing. Anyway, any comments as to the limit of chickens this aviary could comfortably hold?

In Territory country there is small chance that a predator would attack within a fenced property, although I see your point. However ventilation is very important in a humid climate such as this, so screening should ideally play a big part in poultry housing. Anyway, any comments as to the limit of chickens this aviary could comfortably hold?
How big is it?

General rule of thumb is minimum 4sqft per bird coop and 10sqft per bird run but there are many variables that could change that.

Do some searches to find what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom