1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

could I use this structure that was left my previous owners.. doghouse...for chickens>

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by j72397, Jun 6, 2016.

1. j72397

j72397 New Egg

Jun 6, 2016
    It is a large fenced in area.. but we have many predators.... any ideas how to make this work? Thank you :)))[​IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yes.
    Now it needs modifications.

1. I would elevate it approx. three feet off the ground.
    2. Add external nest boxes.
    3. Roosts
    4. Doors
    5. Additional ventilation.

As far as predators I would make a covered run for it with a strong gage welded wire apron.

One of the first rules of chicken keeping is chicken wire keeps chickens in and nothing out. Raccoons, coyotes, fox and bobcat will rip through chicken wire.

What is the square footage?

3. Birdydeb

Birdydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. Is it sturdy and in good shape? Looks like it might be. How big is it? And how many chickens do you want? Off the top of my head and just looking at the pic I would think you could start by lifting it up off the ground on good support. I would use one opening as the pop door and one as a hardware cloth covered window. And find ways to put more ventilation in it. Nestboxes added on the end or on the back maybe? If it is as sturdy as it looks it shouldn't be hard at all to make it usable for a few chickens. A protected run attached to it shouldn't be hard either. Have to say though, my first thought when I saw the pic was, "What a great duck house" ....LOL

eta: hate the lag time on my computer but scooter147 and I pretty much thought the same. A good start but needs modification. Probably the hardest part to begin would be getting it up in the air? You really don't want to have to bend over or get on your knees to service that on the ground. :) Good luck! Please post pics as you modify.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    My first thought was "what a great house for broody hens and chicks"

1 person likes this.
  5. BruceAZ

BruceAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Valley of the Sun :)
    they must have multiple dogs

looks like it's big enough for 6-8 chickens as a coop ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by