Could it be a snake?

K4IRK

Hatching
Mar 21, 2016
I have (had) a Buff Orpington hen sitting on 12 eggs for 4 or 5 days until yesterday. Yesterday about dark I went to check on things in the hen house and the Buff hen was still in the nest box with her head sticking out but she was dead. My first thought was to pick her up and see if the eggs could be saved and put in the incubator. All 12 eggs were gone without a trace. No cracked eggs, shells or any mess of any kind. I knew snakes would sometimes eat eggs from under a setting hen but has anybody had a snake kill the hen first and then eat the eggs?

I have (had) a Buff Orpington hen sitting on 12 eggs for 4 or 5 days until yesterday. Yesterday about dark I went to check on things in the hen house and the Buff hen was still in the nest box with her head sticking out but she was dead. My first thought was to pick her up and see if the eggs could be saved and put in the incubator. All 12 eggs were gone without a trace. No cracked eggs, shells or any mess of any kind. I knew snakes would sometimes eat eggs from under a setting hen but has anybody had a snake kill the hen first and then eat the eggs?
What kind of snakes are in your area?
Were there bites on your hen? Yes, if the hen is pecking at the snake, the snake will strike to remove the threat to themselves.
I am so sad for you, fellow chicken farmer.
God bless.

Yeah all 12 eggs were gone. I live in middle Georgia and we have most every snake found in North America. The only thing I could find out of place on the hen was some feathers on her neck pushed back revealing some bare skin. I suppose she could have been protecting her nest and the snake constricted around her neck and suffocated her and then proceeded to eat the eggs. BTW, they weren't the Buff's eggs but some Silver Sebright bantam eggs. It would be easier to eat 12 of those than her eggs.

That's horrible. Wish I could help. I'm kinda new and didn't know if a snake would eat all twelve but that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I think the mystery was solved this morning. I went out to check on things before work and found a 6 foot rat snake in the chicken pen. He had gotten in somehow but couldn't get back out as he had 2 chicken feet sticking out of his mouth. Needless to say, he won't be eating anymore.

I am sorry for your loss. Did the snake get a full sized chicken? Was just wondering what size snake was capable of that.

Back
Top Bottom