Could it be BROKEN LEG?

jenni22776rn

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Central Maine
My 3 year old Black Australorp Miss Bella has a leg injury and I am not sure if it is broken or just sprained..We built them a new coop yesterday as well as a new run..this morning I went in to check on them and give fresh water...as per routine they all came running when I go in and I did not notice a small board beside me..I must have hit in and before I could stop it the board fell and landed on Miss Bella..it did not fall right on top of her and the side of it landed on my other RIR Miss Gretta..they all went running including Miss Bella. it was a few moments later when I noticed her holding up her leg and kind of pecking at the bottom of it. I watched her and she kept her leg up and would not put any weight on it. I went to try to pick her up and she ran off. It seems like she puts it down at times but non weight bearing at the moment. I picked her up and looked at the leg..did not see any signs of a break and she did not flinch when I tried to move it...but the foot seems limp. She did not curl her toes around my hand like her other foot did but the leg did not just fall and hang there..I have her in a small pen inside just to give her a break from the rooster. Is it limp because it hurts or could there be something more? I saw her put it down to hobble on it and I know she ran off..I am thinking she may have sprained it running off. Could it be broken or just a bad sprain..either way how do I treat her? Leave her on the small pen for rest or put her back out and let her heal by herself? First time with injured hen..not sure what to do. Our vet is not in until saturday(the only Avain vet around) HELP!

when you pick her up can you feel a split or fracture in the bone? how long has she been holding it up?
does she look like she's in pain? do you think that you could post pictures? sorry about all the questions....
but i've had a hen with a broken leg before.....
hmm.png

I just picked her up and put her down so I could change her litter and she hopped on it and put that leg down if only for a minute...I could not feel anything broken or displaced..I looked for external or internal rotation and saw none...and she allowed me to move it ..When I was moving it around she did not act like she was in pain...but she is still not bearing any weight on that leg. This happened approx 2 hours ago and I have had her isolated in a smaller pen to allow minimal walking for her...she is not acting like she is pain ..still acts like her sweet self...should I leave her alone in that pen for a while more? I will try to post pictures..

Back
Top Bottom