Could it be old age?

Amysquirrel39

Hatching
Jul 8, 2019
Oklahoma
This is our Empress. She passed away earlier yesterday. I think it was old age, but am not sure. She had been losing weight but still eating. That lasted for about 3 weeks. I didn't make too big a deal about it because she was still drinking, interested in life, enjoying goodies we would give her. I figured it was just hot, so she was eating less feed. The other hens are still completely fine. She is about six years old, but much smaller than she probably should be. Maybe 8 inches from beak to tail. She started running out of energy, but still enjoyed grazing on the grass, and peaking the ground. I brought her inside to watch her more closely because she didn't make a fuss about being cradled. She liked perching on my arm and having attention paid to her, but she wasn't one for close cradling. When I brought her in, that's when I noticed the stinky, watery diarrhea. Her cone and waddles were still a good color, so I fed her strawberries, tried to encourage her to take feed, and gave her some grapes. She wanted nothing to do with the feed, but ate the grapes, strawberries, and even watermelon with a kind of relish that made me believe all would be well, and that she just needed to be loved special. We kept her in for 2 days. She didn't improve, but she didn't seem to get worse. She didn't want to stay inside. She wanted to be with her sisters. (3 other tiny hens). That was June 28th. We brought her back in 3 nights ago. On the evening of July 6th, her cone was turning blue. She was given a treat of fresh strawberries, which she enjoyed, but then on the morning and afternoon of the 7th, she had no energy. She was able to walk, and stand, and move about, albeit slowly, clear up until the evening of the 6th. I want to believe that it's old age, but everything I've looked at, the diarrhea seems abnormal. Although I know it's not the same for everyone.

Attachments

• 20190705_205353[1].jpg
    20190705_205353[1].jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 6
6 isn't really that old and like you, I think the diarrhea, lack of appetite and lethargy indicates a medical problem.
Here's your state poultry lab where you can send her to find the exact reason she passed. Call and they may send you a FedEx label.
Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Oklahoma State University, College of Vet. Med.
Farm & Ridge Road
Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078-0001
Phone: 405-744-6623

The thing on top of the head is called a comb and the things hanging from the jaw are wattles.

6 isn't really that old and like you, I think the diarrhea, lack of appetite and lethargy indicates a medical problem.
Here's your state poultry lab where you can send her to find the exact reason she passed. Call and they may send you a FedEx label.
Oklahoma Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory
Oklahoma State University, College of Vet. Med.
Farm & Ridge Road
Stillwater, Oklahoma 74078-0001
Phone: 405-744-6623

The thing on top of the head is called a comb and the things hanging from the jaw are wattles.
Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom