Could layer feed hurt my chickens if they aren't laying?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by naturemom, Feb 12, 2008.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    I've been making my own feed, but I recently decided to buy feed for a while until I can find a local source of grains. So now they're on layer feed, and it recently occurred to me that since none of them are laying right now (no supplemental light) it might have more calcium than they need. I know that can be a problem for roosters. Mine are all hens, just not laying. Should I switch them to something else?

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I dont think layer feed would hurt them. Mine have not laid for a while and they are fine

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

All mine get layer feed and are fine.

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Your rooster might start getting a girlie figure. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I have read a number of places that excess calcium can be hard on their kidneys and that one should therefore not give layer feed to nonlaying birds.

OTOH I know a lot of people give layer feed to chickens that are not really laying and by and large they seem fine.

So I dunno. It may depend how paranoid you are, and/or how much you'd kick yourself if a problem developed.

Pat

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:Not to mention those tiny "rooster" eggs start appearing every now and then. [​IMG]

7. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Does this mean cheese is a worse treat for roosters and young pullets? What should you feed a rooster? The lady at our local feed and seed told me the layer crumbles were fine for him. How would one go about making sure the rooster only ate rooster food and the hens only ate layer crumbles? These and SO many questions to ponder in Chickenville!

8. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My rooster eats layer pellets and is absolutely fine. He gets lots of veggies and gets to free range about an hour a day...so the bugs, grass, and other goodies seem to be all he needs.

9. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Thank you, Redfeathers. I have no more fingernails to bite tonight. Why is it so much fun to be outside with the chickens, but when I come inside to research on the computer I get so overloaded with info my stress level rises? I know.....I love my chickens and want to do everything just right. Sigh....

10. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    There is no such thing as rooster food . Layer feed is just fine for them . You start to feed layer feed when they start laying . If you do it too soon , it's hard on the developing chicks / pullets body . Hens do not get all of the shell forming material from the feed , thus the reason for oyster shell .[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by