Could my 11 week roo be crowing??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mamahenAtlanta, Sep 25, 2014.

1. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Neighbor let me know that my rooster (BO - 11 weeks) crowed this a.m. Can they really crow this young?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes - they can crow at that age. Just as with pullets reaching the point of lay at different rates so, too, do the cockerels reach milestones such as crowing, etc at different speeds.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh yes! It always surprises me when they crow very young like that! I love the sound. It's really funny when they first start to crow because they have to practice for a while. One of my roosters only did half a crow, even when he was fully mature! Always made me laugh. It was like "Cockado-" but no doodle doo! haha

Right now I have a lavendar Orpington cockerel. I've seen him mate with the ladies but now crowing yet, and he's pretty big! I'm just waiting to hear him.......

4. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I missed it [​IMG] He was acting all manly last nite.... waiting for the girls to go into the coop and he stood by the door ushering them in. SO cute! But I expect I'll hear a crow for myself soon! Neighbor said he sounded cute-- just a 'little crow'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by