Could my chicken have Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

Hi again, Thank for messaging again, I really appreciate your help, I've had a good feel of her this morning, I'm new to chickens, we've only had them since June (they are about 10 months old). Her tummy feels ok, no hot spots, her comb is droopy, guessing because she's dehydrated, although I've been syringing water (with poultry tonic) into her. And her skin is pale. Breathing is good.

Also I'd read that if it is EYP they tend to stand in an upright manor (like a pengium), but she's not doing this. But I'm guessing the bright yellow diarrhoea is a concern.

I tried a couple of the online shops from your link, one came back and said I need to see a vet (I've had no luck there), the other has not responded yet. I do have human antibiotics (Flucloxacillin 500mg tablets), I don't really want to use those, but wondering whether I should try. I had read that others have used human antibiotics on their chickens, 100mg 3x day, for a 1kg bird, but really unsure about trying that.

VioVet has Tylan Soluble 100mg and also Baytril, but they require a vets prescription.

Thank You so much :) where she came from advised that often squinting eyes can be a sign the hen is in pain (not specifically crop but it can be a sign of something wrong internally), although it's just one eye that is shut. We recently put extra nesting boxes in the coop, I'm wondering if she's jumped off the roost and bashed herself on them, we've taken them out now, so difficult trying to guess.

When was the last time she produced an egg? How does her crop feel? Could you check around her vent?

The poop is definitely abnormal, and could be caused by an infection, such as EYP, or organ dysfunction of sorts. Hopefully, Wyorp, and Eggcessive can comment, as any birds here that get reproductive problems tend to be euthanized. As most of the time, when they start showing external signs like yolk droppings to suggest they have EYP, it's often too late for antibiotics to be very effective. For antibiotics to be useful you need to start early on in the progression of the condition as a lot of the times if the condition is left untreated it starts affecting the bird's organs, and everything goes downhill from there.

I think the best prognosis for her would be seeing a vet, but if you can't, you could try an antibiotic, although, for an infection like EYP, you tend to want a strong- broad-spectrum antibiotic like Baytril. I will see if I can find one for you since your located in the UK.

http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/backyard-poultry/egg-yolk-peritonitis/

Hi there, Thank You so much for getting back to me. She has not laid for over a week now, I called the vets again and booked an appointment for Monday 9th November, but that would be far too late. I thought she had picked up a little this morning, as her eye opened a little, but she's showing no interest in eating or drinking.

I contacted VioVet who sell Baytril and Murry Farmcare here in the UK, but both said I needed to see a vet and they could not unfortunately help.

But it does sound like it's probably too late as she's showing external signs like yolk droppings.

I feel terrible, I don't want her to suffer, and wondering if euthanising her is the better thing to do.

Sorry, you asked about her crop, I had a good feel of it this morning, it felt large and soft, and i gently massaged it and some air came up, I then gave her about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, again massaged it gently and some more air came up... her eye did half open, I was hoping that it may have been her crop. But she still has some yellow in her droppings, it's very bright, not as much poop there was, but she's not eating and the only liquid she is getting is when I syringe water and water with poultry tonic into her.

I have not checked her vent, not quite sure what to look for, or whether to poke around there. I'm happy to try though.

Hi there, Thank You so much for getting back to me. She has not laid for over a week now, I called the vets again and booked an appointment for Monday 9th November, but that would be far too late. I thought she had picked up a little this morning, as her eye opened a little, but she's showing no interest in eating or drinking.

I contacted VioVet who sell Baytril and Murry Farmcare here in the UK, but both said I needed to see a vet and they could not unfortunately help.

But it does sound like it's probably too late as she's showing external signs like yolk droppings.

I feel terrible, I don't want her to suffer, and wondering if euthanising her is the better thing to do.
Sorry, you asked about her crop, I had a good feel of it this morning, it felt large and soft, and i gently massaged it and some air came up, I then gave her about 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, again massaged it gently and some more air came up... her eye did half open, I was hoping that it may have been her crop. But she still has some yellow in her droppings, it's very bright, not as much poop there was, but she's not eating and the only liquid she is getting is when I syringe water and water with poultry tonic into her.

I have not checked her vent, not quite sure what to look for, or whether to poke around there. I'm happy to try though.

I was able to find some fish antibiotics that can be shipped to the UK for just an extra fifteen pounds. Not Baytril (Enrofloxacin), but I was able to find Ciprofloxacin which is of the same family class as Baytril and has good coverage against coliforms such as E. Coli which is often found in EYP infections. Here is the link if you care to take a look :

https://www.entirelypets.com/ciprof...0367&cjevent=0cda5dba192411eb80e3006d0a24060c

Regarding her crop, in the morning it should be empty, not full, so the fact that you felt it and it was full suggest there is crop statis going on. Is this being caused by the EYP, possibly, every time I've dealt with crop issues, specifically sour crop, it's been due to infection/ reproductive problems. Personally, if she was mine, I would consider euthanizing since she's not eating, or drinking, shes producing yolk-colored droppings, and the crop isn't moving properly.

You could try treating her, but I'm afraid her system is failing regardless, and while you may be able to keep her alive longer, she's going to pass.

Eggcessive, and Wyorp, have more experience with this than me, so I would wait for their opinion before doing anything.

Back
Top Bottom