1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my chickens look like this? (might be a dumb question)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by olp_63, Jul 7, 2008.

1. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok, so I'm going to be a total noob and ask this dumb question. I'm curious/bored so....My questoin is: Do Black Tailed Buff Japanese Bantams have the same tails as the other varieties of Japanese Bantams?

The Black, White, Black-Tailed White, etc., Japanese roosters all have tails like this....

[​IMG]

But I see Buffs with tails like this....

[​IMG]

Is it just this one rooster with the short tail? Or do all buffs have tails like these?

EDIT: wow, I just realized how stupid this post was. Sorry guys! It's 2 am! :|

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think they are supposed to follow a standard, which would include shape. It should be like that for all color varieties (to the best of my knowledge) The hard part would be in finding a breeder with very nice examples of this [​IMG]

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I will put in a pic of my BTB Japanese...He is 4 months old...some time today. He isn't of perfect standard but his tail doesn't do like the one in the pic above.

4. Greyscale Rainbow

Greyscale Rainbow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2008
    Bristol, England
    I think it's just that the second one is standing up, whereas Japs are almost always photographed sitting down as it makes their tail look more striking.

5. bustnova

bustnova Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2008
    Mesquite, TX
    This is my japanese bantam rooster - King
    [​IMG]

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Sooo sorry I didn't add this pic when promised...I just remembered to take my phone back to the coop with me so I could take this pic...This is Terminator my 4mo old Black tailed buff Japanese cockerel

[​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by