Could my chicks have died in shell?

FoggyFowl1719

Chirping
Dec 2, 2021
New Mexico
I had 3 eggs out of 5 make it to lockdown. Today is supposed to be hatch day. One of the eggs pipped at the wrong end yesterday morning so I made a small hole in the membrane for it to be able to breathe. There was blood on the membrane. The baby got it's head out but was covered in blood and goo. It chirped a couple of times then died. Upon eggtopsy, I realized that it was definitely premature. The yolk sack hanging off of its stomach was the size of a nickel. Now I am worried about the other 2 because there are no pips or movement. I candled them both to see if the chicks could be seen moving but they both look like something I've never seen before. The air sacks are a little bigger than when I candled before lockdown. But now I can see light through the eggs kind of like a light up globe with the continent's dark. I have never candled on day 21 before and I'm not sure if this is normal. But I saw no movement. Should I give them another day or 2? Any advice would be great. I've been hobby hatching for years and have never had this happen before.

I had 3 eggs out of 5 make it to lockdown. Today is supposed to be hatch day. One of the eggs pipped at the wrong end yesterday morning so I made a small hole in the membrane for it to be able to breathe. There was blood on the membrane. The baby got it's head out but was covered in blood and goo. It chirped a couple of times then died. Upon eggtopsy, I realized that it was definitely premature. The yolk sack hanging off of its stomach was the size of a nickel. Now I am worried about the other 2 because there are no pips or movement. I candled them both to see if the chicks could be seen moving but they both look like something I've never seen before. The air sacks are a little bigger than when I candled before lockdown. But now I can see light through the eggs kind of like a light up globe with the continent's dark. I have never candled on day 21 before and I'm not sure if this is normal. But I saw no movement. Should I give them another day or 2? Any advice would be great. I've been hobby hatching for years and have never had this happen before.
I would definitely give them another couple days ,being that the first to pip was premature the others are most likely still absorbing blood veins and yolk and should start to hatch soon ,if your incubator temp was a bit low it can make them take a bit longer to hatch out ,good luck 🙂

One of the eggs pipped at the wrong end yesterday morning so I made a small hole in the membrane for it to be able to breathe. There was blood on the membrane. The baby got it's head out but was covered in blood and goo. It chirped a couple of times then died.
are you aware of all the dangers of opening during lockdown and helping out unless you really know what to do and even than it is probably making it worse?

Back
Top Bottom