Could my rooster be attracting predators?

10xmama

Songster
12 Years
May 14, 2011
North Florida
I’ve had chickens for 6 yrs. Never had a predator problem before. Live on 4.5 acres and have let my girls out of their run each day around lunchtime. So from around 1-sundown they are out in our yard/woods.

My flock size has always been between 10-16 birds. Never had a loss in six years to a predator.

One year ago we got a surprise Roo in our chick order. We decided we’d keep him and see how it goes. Dude crows constantly of course.

4 wks ago we lost our first hen to a hawk. It was my smallest white leghorn. I was so sad. Kept the flock in for ten days or so and then finally let them out. Two weeks went by. Then the hawk got my other white leghorn. No more white eggs! :-(

Then last night as the flock was heading in at sundown, a stink’n racoon (we assume) mauled my only cuckoo Maran. Just took a chunk out of her neck and left her for dead. I’m so sad!!! No white eggs and my beautiful dark brown layer is now gone too! I’m down to 10 hens and my Roo.

Could all his crowing be attracting the predators? Are my girls never going to be safe around our property again? My husband does not want to build or extend our run; and I would be so sad to have to keep them all locked up from here on out.

Insights welcome :-(

It's possible, but I would think the predators could tell you have chickens, even without the rooster. I have had predator attacks both before and after getting a rooster but last year, my first rooster year, there were no attacks, no losses at all. I let them free range most afternoons. This year, my rooster 2X saved hens from a hawk...So I think he's worth his weight in gold....
Like you, I lock my birds in the run for a period after an attack, which have been few and far between. I also have raised replacements each year as I love those pasture fed eggs....
I will be interested in seeing others' responses to this thread. Good luck with your flock!

It is easy to go years between losses of chickens to predators, with or without roosters. It is also easy to go years with frequent losses to predators, with or without roosters. There can be a random nature to depredation which is why we hear such varied accounts on keeping chickens free-range. To increase odds you are in the no-loss zone, one often needs to take steps to protect the flock either as a prophylactic or responsive measure. You are now in need of the latter.

When repeat losses are underway, first response for me is to pen flock up. If not already known, then ID predator. Decide on what subsequent measures are appropriate such as excluding or removing predator. If excluding and removing not practical, then sometimes you can just wait a predator out until it moves on assuming you can see when it is present even when no chicken losses are occurring.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. I think we are going to thin out the brush between the trees around our coop/run. Doing that would at least take away the hiding places the predators may have been using. I know the first two losses were hawks. Saw the hawk. The attack yesterday seemed characteristic of a raccoon. Was at sunset; didn’t take the bird... just took a bite out of her neck.

The underbrush is quite thick around our coop... so if we open it up, the chickens will stand a better chance at seeing anything that’s trying to get them. We will definitely keep them in for a few days too.

What we’re all afraid of is losing our oldest hen. She’s about to turn six. She’s the last of my original hens left. We’d be so sad if we lost her to a predator. I did get some replacement chicks today.... but that won’t really help replace the eggs for a while.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think we are going to thin out the brush between the trees around our coop/run. Doing that would at least take away the hiding places the predators may have been using. I know the first two losses were hawks. Saw the hawk. The attack yesterday seemed characteristic of a raccoon. Was at sunset; didn’t take the bird... just took a bite out of her neck.

The underbrush is quite thick around our coop... so if we open it up, the chickens will stand a better chance at seeing anything that’s trying to get them. We will definitely keep them in for a few days too.

What we’re all afraid of is losing our oldest hen. She’s about to turn six. She’s the last of my original hens left. We’d be so sad if we lost her to a predator. I did get some replacement chicks today.... but that won’t really help replace the eggs for a while.
Your approach is the opposite of mine when it comes to cover. I do not think you will improve odds for your birds.

Your approach is the opposite of mine when it comes to cover. I do not think you will improve odds for your birds.

I agree, I would think the brush would provide a hiding place from some predators (hawks). It has been my experience with raccoons that they find a way, with or without the cover. Your best bet is trapping and eliminating them. If there is one, there are more. We live in the country and would only see one from time to time. We set a box trap outside our coop and caught one every day for six days :eek:We keep the box trap set every evening now, just in case!

So the brush is outside of our run. Our coop and run are fully enclosed with a secure roof. We live on a wooded property with all sorts of predators. Our run has hardware cloth walls and a shingled roof. No predators have ever gotten into our coop and run when we’ve properly closed the doors. So when the flock is in, they have been safe.

That said, I love to let them out to freerange. Usually I let them out around 1pm. Depending on the season I close the run door after they go in — which is between 5-8pm accordingly. I’m in North East Florida.

I have seen raccoons, opossums, hawks, coyotes, snakes, random stray cats, an occasional fox, and even a river otter on our property.

The hens do hide in the brush when outside of their run, but all the attacks have happened in the area of the brush near their run. The hawk was waiting in the pine trees and flew down and actually attacked from the ground. The raccoon attack was in the same general area too. I don’t know...? Was thinking it would expose the predators but I guess it leaves the girls without cover too.

I guess this is just part of chicken keeping. Still makes me sad. The chicken lost to the raccoon was such a sweet girl. Was hoping for her to brood chicks this summer.

Back
Top Bottom