Could not enough nesting boxes cause flock issues?

My 6 girls use only 1 nesting box... even though they have 3. I’ve gone to collect eggs and there will be 5 eggs in one box, none in the other. Only time another box is Used is if ones broody. Once I went to the coop and couldn’t find most of the girls. 4 were piled in one box. :rolleyes:

4 nest boxes for 7 hens seems like plenty! The flock always has a favorite, though. I wouldn't really waste time adding nest boxes (unless you plan on getting more hens), because you could argue even 2 nest boxes is enough for 7 hens. We have around 30 hens with 8 nest boxes and we have no issues. They will just wait their turn.
If they get aggressive, just let them be so they can establish the 'pecking order' and who's turn is when.
Good luck :)!

My 6 girls use only 1 nesting box... even though they have 3. I’ve gone to collect eggs and there will be 5 eggs in one box, none in the other. Only time another box is Used is if ones broody. Once I went to the coop and couldn’t find most of the girls. 4 were piled in one box. :rolleyes:
I have 10 that all lay in the same box. We have 6 nesting boxes but every day the eggs are all in 1 box.

How much space in the coop and run do they have? Photos? We always love photos!!

I love the idea of taking alpha out of the flock for a few days to cool her jets. That could be a good solution IMO. I am also going to be the only one who thinks tossing in a safe box for your sweet BO could be an excellent idea too. When my pullets come into POL I will make sure that they have a safe space to lay. It is tuff enough to lay an egg let alone be bullied in the process. A safe space can be as simple as a plastic plant pot on it's side or a cat carrier. Just stick it in a corner with nesting material. Chances are alpha will go check it out and maybe leave the BO to lay in peace in the main box. They will eventually make peace and you will be able to remove box when no one uses any more if you like. No harm, no fowl (lol).
I have 4 different locations of nest boxes and have found that really works for us. They play musical nest box and my low on the totem pole hens and pullets always have a place to lay in peace for the most part.
Best of luck! Please let us know what you come up with so we can all learn a little more. 🌴 :frow

@Ridgerunner @Mamatomany123 @TropicalBabies

Flock and coop details:

-My first ever flock born the first week of May 2020 (so almost 1 year) all hens the same age

-Urban Flock ...must be penned in

- 4 EEs, 1 BR, 1 Buff

-Coop 32sq foot interior 5.25 per bird

-Run 70sq ft exterior 11.6 per bird

- 2 nesting boxes

-I just added extra roost area since my roost was only 4.5 feet wide. Now I have 12 inches per bird (as per Artts suggestion).

The issue began the beginning of March. Not the whole flock just one EE, and my BO. They get along individually great with the rest of the flock, but it’s like my EE has a vandetta with my buff.

Funny thing is the bully EE is also low on the totem pole...
Pecking order:
Nugget BO (lowest)
Lacy EE (next lowest...bully)
Pot Pie EE (gets along with everyone)
Alfredo EE (gets along with everyone
Dumpling (BR...friend to Nugget)
Popcorn (EE...big boss queen lady but also friendly towards Nugget)

The BO is NEVER the aggressor she is the most docile, and won’t stand up for herself she just runs. Or sticks her head in the corner as the bully pulls feathers off her head. 🙄🙄😱🙄🙄 She is the very bottom of the pecking order. But gets along great with the Alpha (who is another EE, and the Assistant to the Alpha my BR).

I’m also trying that purple goop, helps a little but not much.

I hate Lacy picking on her, but especially when Nugget is laying a egg. Of course both of them are favorites that jump in my lap for snuggles too. I really would hate to rehome.

Attachments

• D247DE1F-F821-46AE-A660-034AA3128D96.jpeg
    D247DE1F-F821-46AE-A660-034AA3128D96.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 403D7BD5-E90F-4A02-AA16-2F4AA6EB6A99.jpeg
    403D7BD5-E90F-4A02-AA16-2F4AA6EB6A99.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 18
  • A54E2EA1-8631-4E0C-B0EF-9FD883E85560.jpeg
    A54E2EA1-8631-4E0C-B0EF-9FD883E85560.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Oh my goodness, your coop and run are just adorable!!! :love

Well... I would def try... @Mamatomany123 suggestion to start and possibly put a milk crate in the corner or in the run as a nest box to see if that takes some stress off. That way they can hop on top and not loose space. My feeling is your space may be just a tad to the limit and that is not helping as Nugget has no where she can really escape. Maybe also try a roost in the run, boxes and hiding or get away type places, snack or boredom bags or hanging cabbage- while Lacy gets her timed out.
I thinks it's less of.it not being enough boxes and more of your EE is just being a bully. Is the BO ever the aggressor?if not then I would lock the EE up in a cage for a while and bump her down that pecking order.

sticks her head in the corner as the bully pulls feathers off her head.
This part worries me. From what I've seen with mine I don't think she's pulling feathers off the head. This is how a bully attacks a weaker chicken, they peck at the head because they can seriously injure or kill them this way. I had a 2 week old chick kill its sibling by pecking at the head. I had a 15 week old cockerel kill another cockerel the same age by pecking at its head. I don't know what happened to cause the 2 week old to do that. With the 15 week old it took a dislike to that other cockerel and killed it when puberty hit them. It did not bother any other cockerels the same age and I had a bunch of them.

It's not that unusual for a hen very low on the pecking order bully one that's even lower in the pecking order. It's as if they don't want to give them a chance to move over them.

I have had some success with isolating a bully to change it's behaviors. I've also had failures. If you really want to keep both of them I'd lock the bully up by herself for a few days. She's already practically at the bottom of the pecking order but I can't think of anything else to try.

@TropicalBabies
I just ordered a swinging lettuce holder thing off Amazon. It has been on my mind to put a rustic ladder leaned up against the coop as a perch in the run, I just have to find one...

@Ridgerunner Yeah, I'm trying to keep a close eye on them. Thankfully being in a urban setting they are less than 30 feet from the house, so I can see everything going on in the run. And anytime we are walking through the yard we check on them. Hubby is going to build me a chicken tractor (hopefully sometime soon!) so I can put them out on the grass in the yard.

Its almost like Lacy is frustrated by being low on the pecking order, so she takes it out on the only one lower? The thing I just can't understand is they were literally all winter (when they spent most of the time in the coop) and no bullying. Now when its nice and the snow is gone is when the issues start?

Back
Top Bottom