Could not enough nesting boxes cause flock issues?

It has been on my mind to put a rustic ladder leaned up against the coop as a perch in the run, I just have to find one...
You could cobble one together out of scrap wood, it doesn't need to be an actual ladder. But yes the run is a little barren of stuff to do. A couple smaller obstacles/clutter might help break up the space and give the lower ranked birds a bit of relief.
The thing I just can't understand is they were literally all winter (when they spent most of the time in the coop) and no bullying. Now when its nice and the snow is gone is when the issues start?
Hormones.

It's not that unusual for a hen very low on the pecking order bully one that's even lower in the pecking order. It's as if they don't want to give them a chance to move over them.

I have had some success with isolating a bully to change it's behaviors. I've also had failures. If you really want to keep both of them I'd lock the bully up by herself for a few days. She's already practically at the bottom of the pecking order but I can't think of anything else to try.
agree

You could cobble one together out of scrap wood, it doesn't need to be an actual ladder. But yes the run is a little barren of stuff to do. A couple smaller obstacles/clutter might help break up the space and give the lower ranked birds a bit of relief.

Yes, clutter is valuable.

I use blocks, bricks, pallets, random logs, overturned lawn chairs, and other such odds and ends to create spaces in the run.

0224211427a_HDR.jpg

0323210907a.jpg

Just a little more inspiration because i know the lightbulb is going to turn on if it has not already... a simple small table will add sq footage in your run.
20210413_063627~2.jpg

A swing can offer a get safe space 20210215_182041~2.jpg
I add things like my compost, a barrel of grass or leaves to relieve boredom
20210329_075339.jpg
Every stump in their run is an opportunity to overturn so they can did for bugs. I literally go through and toss the place so they all can get a treat, not just the alpha's, then rake and put it back together. When I have a bully or mix I give them lots of options and just open the place up- I have doors everywhere so no one gets trapped and there is always a get away plan to be had.
20210217_135804.jpg

A simple melon bag- make 2 or 3
Snack bag 2.jpg

I know you are urban and really have the cutest coop and run ever :love but maybe you can get some take aways even as simple as a garage sale stool or chair.

Attachments

• 20210223_124142~3.jpg
    20210223_124142~3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
@TropicalBabies

Love the table and swing idea!!! My gears are grinding!!!

So I love that vintage shabby chic kinda look. We have a old 1906 house so I wanted the coop etc to match. And I just thought of the greatest thing!!!

A old pot belly stove! And how funny would it be to have a area with a nest in the run -inside- the wood stove door?!?! It would be something to crawl under, jump on top of and lay eggs inside???

I found one on Facebook market place about a hr away.

Attachments

• D8FF1368-6257-4FC8-ACDB-BBA0E9FB08B8.png
    D8FF1368-6257-4FC8-ACDB-BBA0E9FB08B8.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • A8B2ACB7-ACBF-4BAA-87B9-B05F7C5FB12E.png
    A8B2ACB7-ACBF-4BAA-87B9-B05F7C5FB12E.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 135D7485-E645-491E-A707-6F6C829CB106.png
    135D7485-E645-491E-A707-6F6C829CB106.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I have 14 hens and 5 nesting boxes (made from milk crates layed on their sides.) They have no issus with shared laying schedules. They have been pretty good at spacing their laying out where only a couple lay at once. They do prefer like only 3 of the boxes. When ones done, another will go in and lay in the same box. So they do prefer laying in the same box theres eggs already in, even tho theres 5 to choose from, but theres no fighting. Theyre pretty patient with one another. Even tho they prefer the same 3 boxes, if they have to, they will go to an unoccupied box with no problem.

I have 6 boxes and 12 laying hens. They have one favorite that everyone uses. And currently TWO of my hens have decided to brood in that box. They've been in there together for three days, growling at me and making everyone else mad because they can't get in the best box. I finally just removed it. Everyone will need to pick a new favorite nesting place tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom