Could not enough nesting boxes cause flock issues?

Yes, one doesn't have a door that has to propped open like the other 2 & they all have a board for a threshold to keep the straw in. We used concrete blocks to gain height & a 2x6 plank to set them on. This year we have one on the ground & another on top of it & both are being used-those are for the White Rocks in a pen to keep them pure, 6 of the metal nests are for the black Giants in the chicken pen, & the other 6 nests are on the pasture side of the fence because of what my wife said last year when my ducklings arrived. "They all look the same." That's because they're all Cayuga, great for meat & eggs. We have 3-4 different breeds of chickens in the pasture with a rose comb rooster & they're there so that all of the chickens won't look the same. Once I'm done playing around to have next year's layers then we'll let them all run together again, but currently they need to double up on production to meet demand & they're refusing claiming it'd be going against nature. I'd order some Leghorn pullets to help with the supply but we only have the 2 dog houses, one for our dog, one for a setting hen, & both claim that there isn't enough room for me. :)
You gotta share some photos- Way to think outside of the box and to repurpose!!!

I have been having issues with 2 of my hens getting along for the past month.

Had some discussion on a previous post. My coop and run meet the needed space required per bird. I recently added additional roost space at the recommendation of some folks here.

All my other hens get along swimmingly, no issues. I just have one EE that particularly bullies my one BO. It’s just between these two.

I have 6 hens, 2 nesting boxes. Today I was in the coop both nests were occupied. My BO was in one of them. The EE jumped up in my presence, and started to aggressively pluck at the head feathers of the BO who was
in the box.

Is this a indicator I need more next boxes? I thought 1 box per 3 birds was plenty?
I have an Olive Egger who is just bossy, a true bully. She likes to bully the BO in particular.
It's never over a nest box. Olive Cruella wants to rule the roost, literally. I have to remind her that she is not the boss by picking her up and carrying her around for a bit, and that seems to work for awhile.

Just wondering how this all went? Did you pick up that cute stove?
I have wanted to but I live in a very rural backwoods town, and most items like that are a hr drive away. I plan to keep my eyes peeled for one. Or even a old painted wheel borrow.

In the mean time I had hubs make a make shift ladder for the run, we screwed a big drift wood branch also in the run, and I got one of those hanging toys to put cabbage or a apple on off Amazon.

We are working on a small chicken tractor to put Lacy in for a few weeks.

Lacy has been less inclined with all the new distractions to bully Nugget. But Nugget it seems is one to not forget offense. And whenever Lacy is within a foot runs away clucking a little distress chirp 🙄. Hopefully it will get better after we can separate them for a week.

I have wanted to but I live in a very rural backwoods town, and most items like that are a hr drive away. I plan to keep my eyes peeled for one. Or even a old painted wheel borrow.

In the mean time I had hubs make a make shift ladder for the run, we screwed a big drift wood branch also in the run, and I got one of those hanging toys to put cabbage or a apple on off Amazon.

We are working on a small chicken tractor to put Lacy in for a few weeks.

Lacy has been less inclined with all the new distractions to bully Nugget. But Nugget it seems is one to not forget offense. And whenever Lacy is within a foot runs away clucking a little distress chirp 🙄. Hopefully it will get better after we can separate them for a week.
Well, sounds like you are doing terrific!!! Relieving chicken boredom really seems to be the right track.
Well, I also will fill my empty feeds bags up with wild grasses, mulch, leaves, horse poop and dump in the middle of my run for entertainment. It all helps, is fun to watch and keeps the smells down.
I am glad you are having a turn around already! :ya:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom