could someone explain humidity briefly?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerRyan, Jun 4, 2012.

1. farmerRyan

farmerRyan In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Central Maine
    I have searched this site and the net to try and find out the best humidity.
    Some say use no water and keep it at 30%
    Others say 50-60 is best. I've also read to keep them as humid as possible.

Since we failed our first 2 attempts at hatching, I want to make sure I've got it right before we set for a 3rd time.

Thanks.

2. Yiannisk

Yiannisk Songster

May 1, 2012
    Humidity is very tolerant but temp not anything from 30 to 50 % works for chickens for the first 18days
    what kind of incu do you have and at what temp ? you use it auto turn or manual?

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Crowing

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    well what temp and humidity and what kind of incubator did you have for your first few atempts ??
    Humidity is between 30-50% depending on if your doing regular or dry incubation. I woudnt let it go over or under that for any period of time no matter what someone says . Temp though for still air needs to be 101-102 at the top of the eggs and for forced air it needs to be 99.5 though a degree one way or the other wont usually be fatal for short intervals.
    You put your eggs in and turn them at least 3 times a day from day 1-18 then you stop turning them and crank up your humidity to the 70s and dont open the incubator for the last three days.

4. farmerRyan

farmerRyan In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Central Maine
    Thanks!

I have a hova bator 1602 with an auto turner being delivered. I need to give the TurnX I was borrowing back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: