Could someone help me figure out the breeds of my hens?

Lily a light brahma
Silvie is a penciled ?
Fargo an ee
And juliet and alo. Are silver laced wyandotte

Thank you all so very much. I can see that joining up with this forum will prove to be a good idea.
big_smile.png

Wow!  That takes care of ALL of them--doesn't it? 

If you mean around Goldie's neck, I got her that way back in September (which is when that photo was taken).  She came with seven others, four of which also had missing feathers.  I atttributed it to moulting, but whatever it was, they got over it fairly quickly, except for Hillary, who seemed to make a career out of her moult.

Ebony's neck feathers are somewhat grayish.

Thank you very much for your help.

I would expect hens to molt in the fall but not pullets. Do you know how old they were or which hatchery they came from? I'd pull Goldie off the roost at night and give her a good look-over. Check for irritation, feathers trying to grow, other signs of mites or lice... My thinking is that it could be scarring from prior injury and there are not going to be feathers there, it could be mites, OR it could be that other birds are plucking the blood feathers as they appear.

Ebony looks like an over-melanized birchen -- just not sure about the Marans part because they are rare. What color are her eggs?

I would expect hens to molt in the fall but not pullets. Do you know how old they were or which hatchery they came from? I'd pull Goldie off the roost at night and give her a good look-over. Check for irritation, feathers trying to grow, other signs of mites or lice... My thinking is that it could be scarring from prior injury and there are not going to be feathers there, it could be mites, OR it could be that other birds are plucking the blood feathers as they appear.

Ebony looks like an over-melanized birchen -- just not sure about the Marans part because they are rare. What color are her eggs?
Goldie was about a year old when we got her in September. After that picture was taken (sometime in October), the feathers on her neck DID grown back. I don't know the hatchery from which they came.

I do check their vents for signs of mites on a fairly regular basis. When I did see some on some of the birds a couple of weeks ago, I sprayed them all with Poultry Protector. Now that the ground is drying out, and they are starting to spend more time outside, I spread a mixture of wood ash and food-grade DE on the ground in their pen and put a bit extra in the holes they have dug for dusting. When I cleaned out the coop in the fall, I spread some DE on the floor before adding a layer of pine shavings. I will do the same when I do another major cleaning in the spring.

I AM, however, now having some problems with feather-plucking that I didn't have during the winter, but that's a topic for another area of this forum. As soon as I take the time to find where that area is, I'll post THAT dilemma.

Now, as for Ebony's eggs, all the birds (except for Fargo, who I am told is an Easter Egger) lay eggs in varying shades of beige to light brown. Fargo lays blue-green eggs, and someone is laying mauve eggs. I am told it can't be Fargo, but she's always in the box when I find those.

Once again, thanks to you and everyone else who has helped me.

Last edited:
Lily white is a feathered legged Sussex, Ebony might be a Black Australorp though i am not to sure, Juliet and and Alouette are silver laced Wyandottes.

Lily white is a feathered legged Sussex, Ebony might be a Black Australorp though i am not to sure, Juliet and and Alouette are silver laced Wyandottes.

I guess the one thing I CAN be sure of then, besides the breed of Curly Sue and Henrietta, is the breed of Juliet and Alouette. Thanks again, everyone!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom