Could someone help with the color and gender of these EEs?

HobbitChicken

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Hey folks, new here. Lurked around for a little while but now I've got some questions so figured I'd join!

For those of you who know your colors, what would you say these guys and gals are?

They are nine weeks old today. Pretty sure there's a couple of roos but just want everyone's opinion. :)

Thanks!

I think cyan night is correct. I've been doing a lot of research on EE gender because I ended up with a cockerel who was supposed to be a pullet. It's not the colors on your EE's that gives it away. It's the saddle feathers, the pointy ones that hang down at the base of the tail. Mine is 8 weeks and is just starting to get them.

If the saddle feathers are the best indicator, then #1, #4 and #5 don't have them (yet), but #2 and #3 have really obvious, glamorous saddle feathers. There's a behind-view of #4 in the photo of #2 so you can see, no saddle feathers there. But #5 was my first suspected roo because he matured soooooo slow, but despite the lack of saddle feathers I think it's just his maturation rate. My second suspected roo, #2, had the fastest maturation rate. Is that typical?

When I was picking them up from the feed store I tried sexing them via primary feathers and down color, apparently neither of those methods works on EEs haha.

As for the color I was just wondering what that particular patterning/color was called so I could look up the genetics behind what makes them so different. :)

Last edited:
That's where I started reading but it seemed like some of these guys didn't conform, and I also was interested in the terminology for their coloration, so just started a new topic.

Hey folks, new here. Lurked around for a little while but now I've got some questions so figured I'd join!

For those of you who know your colors, what would you say these guys and gals are?

They are nine weeks old today. Pretty sure there's a couple of roos but just want everyone's opinion. :)

Thanks!

Since EEs are hybrids, they do not conform to a set color standard, but instead come in a variety of different color patterns. As for their gender, I agree with the other BYC members--only the top bird is a female.

welcome-byc.gif

The thing with Easter eggers is they're often not an identifiable color. I'd say your pullet is just a dark wild-type coloring, if you really need a name call her a dark partridge, even though there isn't really such thing
smile.png

Your roosters look to be very loosely based on maybe a colombian pattern, with blue diluting the black. They're very striking birds!

Agree some are too young for saddle feathers yet, but the key is the color. Those boys are flashy, with eye-catching color, designed to draw attention. The hen is smoother, more even colored, designed to be able to blend in while setting on a nest in the bushes.

Back
Top Bottom