Could someone please explain the ‘Guaranteed Analysis’ on chicken feed so that I know what each percentage means?

StefneyRSA

In the Brooder
May 8, 2024
Pretoria, South Africa
I am new to chickens, I have a flock of 8 Orpingtons (2 x full size pullets, 1 x bantam cockerel, the rest are all bantam POL hens and younger pullets).

I’ve done some research on the nutritional values of the feed I need to be giving my flock. Members on this forum prefer protein levels of 20% (and upwards) and calcium levels below 1% with oyster shells on the side.

But what do the rest of the values in the ‘guaranteed analysis’ table mean to a clueless chicken mom?

What are the ideal values, and why?

I’ve managed to find a large variety of feeds (all from the same brand) with protein higher than 20% and calcium lower than 1%. But now I need to decipher what the rest of the values mean so that I can make an informed decision.

I’m in South Africa, the brand I’d like to buy is Epol, here is link with all their poultry feed and each feed’s nutritional values: https://epol.co.za/poultry/

I have narrowed it down to the “broiler” category, and then further narrowed it down to the “free range” range of feed. I like the Pre-Starter and Starter because of the protein levels (21% and 20%)

I don’t know what the ideal levels of fat, fibre, Lysine, Methionine and Phosphorus are though?

To calculate the percentages, I divide the value in grams by 1000 and then multiply by 100.

Attachments

• IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 5
I prefer feeding a layer type feed and not giving them a choice to eat oyster shell on the side. There are a ton of threads here with complications because they don't eat the oyster shell. There are no threads about roosters having problems eating layer feed.

Back
Top Bottom