Could the wire in the bottom of the incubator be harmful to the chicks

mom2chicksandpups

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Southeast Alabama
I have a regular styrofoam incubator with the wire in the bottom over the water trays. Now that my first few chicks have hatched, I'm a bit concerned that wire may be rough on their little feet. The edges of it are pretty sharp, also. Has anyone ever had any problems with this? I am an overprotective mom, so leave it to me to worry about this! I thought of putting paper towels under them, but they are so active right now they would probably just run right off of them.

I usually put that spongy shelf liner under my eggs, that way their feet are okay & it keeps some of the crude from falling into the botom of the bator & makes for easier cleanup.

Sounds like we have the same incubator. My chicks (all 30) did just fine on the wire. It was suggested to cover the wire with cheesecloth for ease of cleaning when the hatching is over. I will definitely be doing that with this round when I remove the turner.
Good luck and congrats on your new ones.

won't paper towels interfere with the humidity???? I need to know like ASAP.....we're getting really really close!!!
jumpy.gif

The wire just seemed uncomfortable under the little chicks' feet to me, but they made it through okay. I tried putting paper towels under them and they kept pushing them aside with all their running around until I gave up on this idea. One also got down into the water tray and was pretty wet. One chick had its face down on the wet part, so I removed the paper towels due to fear that they might cause the chicks to drown or something. I may try shelf liner or cheese cloth with future hatches. Sounds like a couple of good ideas. Where would I buy cheese cloth?

[Where would I buy cheese cloth?]

You can get cheescloth in the sporting goods department (it's what they wrap fresh game in) or you can find it in most stores in the kitchen isle. It's used for straining and such. It's pretty cheap.

Back
Top Bottom