Could this be a Black Star?

janscott

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2015
Hi, this chick is about 9 weeks old. The lady who gave her to me said she thinks it is a Black Star, but may be a mixed breed as well. Thanks!

That is a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and it's starting to look like a cockerel. Black Stars are a 'brand' name for a hatchery black sexlink. They are a cross between a Rhode Island Red rooster and a Barred Rock hen. The males are barred. The females are black with gold on their necks and chests.

She doesn't look like a black star. Maybe a Silver Laced Wyandotte, or Silver Sebright. If she were a he, the comb would be more red by now.. but what big feet. Gods just not finished with that one yet, she'll be lovely.

Last edited:
Could you get a photo of the head comb area full face? I'd like to see the comb better to be sure.

I agree with the other posters, it is not a Black Sex Link for reasons given.

If it is a rosecomb (which I think it may be...hard to tell in the boundary blur)...then it looks to be a Silver Laced Wyandotte...but I would not call this a male yet. The color pattern is still even and not blotchy, and the comb is not that big for 9 weeks. Wyandottes can be hard to sex as the males develop more slowly though....and sometimes can be hen feathered....but a lot do broadcast by 9 weeks.

If that is a single comb, then it is likely a mixed breed chicken (although some Wyandottes can have a single comb, but it is a fault and not accepted in the line)...or even a Silver Penciled Rock...or a Rock mix that colored that way...again I'm leaning to pullet.

Definitely not a Sebright...wrong body shape...Sebrights are bantam/game type birds wherein the wing tips fall below the body line. The bird would be very small too, and have a more upright stance.

You have a layer body type.

Don't worry about the large legs...I've had lots of pullets with Amazon legs.

LofMc

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to get a picture of the face today - I hope it is a girl!

welcome-byc.gif

Silver laced Wyandotte. Sebrights are bantam, very light bodied and have dark legs.

Thanks for the full face photos.

Yes, rose comb, yes looks like a Silver Laced Wyandotte.

...and...with that much flesh at 8 weeks, I suspicion roo....watch and wait on this one.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom