Could this be a coon or something else?

Mamaperreca

Chirping
9 Years
May 16, 2010
Missouri
So last weekend we had a coon (assuming) break in through a small weak spot in our chicken tractor. It killed 5 out of 10 meat birds. Ripped the heads, left the bodies, messed with the food bins. Typical Raccoon M.O.

We went ahead and processed the remaining meat birds before the coon could come again. We put tin on the whole top of the tractors run part so there was no more seam area for breaking in. Then today I go outside and all looks well until I get up close. My 14 week polish black WC male is missing. All that is left was a pile of feathers near the run. We have a 2 inch gap between the ground and the bottom of the run. So something reached in and pulled him out from under it.

I know, I know. Another weak spot. We usually have the chickens locked up in the coop, however, these chickens were new to the coop and didn't go in to roost. I only have 4 birds in there.

DO you think it was still the raccoon or something else? I thought coons didn't take them only kill them for fun and such? It only took the one. I am 95% sure it didn't actually enter the run, but pulled it from the outside.

Chickens for Dummies suggests a fox.

Tonight I will lock them in the coop and leave my dog out there as well. Then I am gonna put the baby monitor or something outside and listen for barking and start shooting stuff. This is making me really angry!

Back
Top Bottom