Could this be a pheasant chick?

chicknsnbiskits

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Colorado Springs
My friend found a couple chicks by the side of the road in a park here in Colorado Springs. She assumed they were chickens and took them home. One died overnight. She brought the other one to me today. (pictures below) The chick is healthy and vigorous and noisy.
Another friend (who has experience with both chickens and pheasants) said that she's willing to bet it's actually an orphaned/abandoned wild pheasant chick, not a chicken. That would make sense based on where it was found, but I have no experience with pheasants.
Can you tell me, what are the chances that this little bird is not a chicken? Does it look like any kind of pheasant you recognize?

Thanks very much!

Nope, looks like your average chicken. It's rather light, so it might be a sex link. Looks like a boy, so it could easily be a sex link. But it's a bit white for it to be a sex link even....

Were they both white? If so, probably red sex links. In red sex links, girls are red, boys are white. Would make sense maybe why they abandoned them.

In short, not a pheasant. Either a sex link or leghorn I'm guessing. Leaning to leghorn as I think more about it. Yeah leghorn sounds about right.

Also I'd be willing to bet if you looked close enough your see a little tiny comb. Pheasents don't have combs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom