could this be a roo?

Yes, it is a bit of an anomaly. People will use the term second generation sex link but what they mean is a sex link bred to a sex link. The offspring will not technically be "sex links" because it is an F1 feature only and doesn't carry through into the next generation. I would be very surprised if TSC were selling anything other than F1 sex links because they get them from a hatchery and that is what hatcheries produce, but they do have a reputation for mixing the chicks up and putting them back into the wrong bins or mislabelling them, so your odd chick might be another breed or just one that is more of an individual. Sex links should be pretty much 100% accurate to sex.

"Second generation" sex links (there you see.... I erroneously used the term) are produced by backyard poultry keepers who do not understand the nature of sex linking and assume they can breed them together and get the same result. They are few and far between but they do crop up from time to time when people buy from private individuals.
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that and try to help me out!

Okay so here are some better pictures.. the first two are of the one I am questioning to be a roo and the second are one of the other 5 we have (they all have the same comb size and color - small and dark) ... thanks!!

Attachments

• CEC245BB-BDC0-4174-B5EA-FC93BDD7D09B.jpeg
    CEC245BB-BDC0-4174-B5EA-FC93BDD7D09B.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 09F79E7C-2E97-4450-940A-954C87385748.jpeg
    09F79E7C-2E97-4450-940A-954C87385748.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 76F5C6E7-20FD-4306-B9FF-3C3189C24CA8.jpeg
    76F5C6E7-20FD-4306-B9FF-3C3189C24CA8.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 4
Please get pics of the back of their heads, without red lighting.
If you got them from a hatchery (that's where feed store chicks come from) they won't be 2nd generation. Otherwise it won't work.

No white spot on the head, so pullet.

Here's a comparison:
Black-Sex-Link.jpg

Male chick on left, female on right.

Hen vs. rooster:
Black%20Sex-Link.jpg

Unless some random black chick got mixed in with the BSLs, you still have a pullet. I think what you read is that feather sexing (i.e., trying to determine sex by looking at wing feathers) is not 100% accurate, which is true. The point of sex links like these is that you can sex them accurately due to the coloration. In BSLs you have the spot for males and no spot for females, in ISA browns you have brown females and white males, etc.

One of my black sex link pullets:
5GGbqoQ.jpg

Thank you, everyone! I did read a lot of things.. most of what you are all saying and explaining. When there is a .01-1% chance of something NOT going in my favor... I typically get the .01-1%... thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom