1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be a Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barg, Apr 30, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    This is my dominant chick. Its a dominique and is noticably larger then the others, it also seems more aggressive toward the others. They are all almost 2 weeks old .Is it possible this is a rooster? they are all supposed to be girls. Does the little pointy thing on its comb mean anything?[​IMG]

A pic of my other dominique [​IMG]

2. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    I don't see anything significant in there. Maybe someone else does. But, it may take another few weeks to tell.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, its too young to tell yet. Give it a month, if it is a he, you'll know then. She could be just a large she.

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Hard to tell at this age. But there are hens that are dominant, so Give it time, and you will know.

5. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    I am not really seeing much difference between them. When I started with my Dom's, one was bigger, bolder and the comb and wattles developed earlier (and RED) than the others. I swore it must be a roo. No, she was the first one to start laying and still the boldest but sweetest of the group. I'd wait and not jump to any conclusions yet.

6. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Ok thanks again for the info everyone.

Quote:Yeah this one, which my wife has now named hazel, seems to be the boss of them so far but is also the first to come check me out when I go near their little tub.

7. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    If the legs start to turn black in the next few weeks, it's a female. If they stay yellow, it's a male.

8. lillihen77

lillihen77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2015
    Spirit lake Idaho
    [​IMG][/IMG]Any idea what breed the yellow ones could be? I know they are mutts :) but the roo is a barred rock ,hens ...I have no idea...Craigslist chickens and two Americanas but they didn't give me any eggs to incubate ,so def no
    Americana in them ....[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by