Could this be a tumor or cyst?

RoseMarie1

Songster
7 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Hattiesburg,Ms.
My Coop
My Coop
Someone I am trying to help with a chicken...... cut and pasted this......I thought I had an egg bound chicken but she has a huge bump above her vent.... Its not an egg..... Shes not moving......is there anything I can do?

She's not eating nor drinking and hasn't ever laid and is a young standard cochin pullet, I think around 5 months.

Anyone had one like this. They came home tonight and found it like this. Trying to figure out what's going on with it.

They have soaked it in warm water, it's inside and it perked up some when they soaked it in the warm water. I suggested they try it again and also maybe try some epsom salt in the water but not let her drink the water and then rinse her off in case it's toxins.

Epsom salt is a good laxative, and besides I think that it is the precursor chemical that is used to help make tofu coagulate. Anyway, it may be that a sip of Epsom salt flavored water may help, it certainly won't hurt. Just mix the Epsom salt and H2O at the rate recommended for humans to intake but limit the amount of the fluid consumed to the amount that a chicken can be expected to drink.

What does your friend mean when she/he says,

"...came home tonight and found it like this. Trying to figure out what's going on with it."
Found it like what, laying down, standing up, in distress?
idunno.gif

Epsom salt is a good laxative, and besides I think that it is the precursor chemical that is used to help make tofu coagulate. Anyway, it may be that a sip of Epsom salt flavored water may help, it certainly won't hurt. Just mix the Epsom salt and H2O at the rate recommended for humans to intake but limit the amount of the fluid consumed to the amount that a chicken can be expected to drink.

What does your friend mean when she/he says,

"...came home tonight and found it like this. Trying to figure out what's going on with it."
Found it like what, laying down, standing up, in distress?
idunno.gif
with the knot on it and just sitting not walking around.

I'd just wait and watch, give her a few days to resolve it on her own. If she looks like she is suffering, I'd kill her and do a necropsy. If she does not recover in two days, I'd kill her and do a necropsy. A bird that you have to help all the time is a bird that compromises the flock...time to be sensible and use the power of the cull.

I would give her a dose of calcium--a crushed Tums, or 1/2 an adult calcium tablet just in case it is a prolapsed vent with an egg that is stuck in the tissue. Another epsom salt hot bath plus calcium may help. If the bulge is very red it may be this. Posting a picture would help. The pictures I have seen have been under the vent, but I have not seen many. If it is a tumor, I would think they might have noticed it earlier.

Last edited:
I'd just wait and watch, give her a few days to resolve it on her own. If she looks like she is suffering, I'd kill her and do a necropsy. If she does not recover in two days, I'd kill her and do a necropsy. A bird that you have to help all the time is a bird that compromises the flock...time to be sensible and use the power of the cull.
She didn't make it through the night Bee. He's going to do that to see what it was. and thanx!!!!

Last edited:
I would give her a dose of calcium--a crushed Tums, or 1/2 an adult calcium tablet just in case it is a prolapsed vent with an egg that is stuck in the tissue. Another epsom salt hot bath plus calcium may help. If the bulge is very red it may be this. Posting a picture would help. The pictures I have seen have been under the vent, but I have not seen many. If it is a tumor, I would think they might have noticed it earlier.
thank you! He said she didn't make it through the night.

He cut it out and posted a pic of it. It was really weird looking and looked like it had a vein through it. Was about the size of a small egg. Several people thought it could just been a tumor but I was wondering if it could have been some sort of parasite? I think I'd had to cut into it to see what the inside of it looked like IF I could have done that. Anyway someone suggested he take it to the vet and let the vet see it to see what it was but he had already disposed of the chicken and all.

Back
Top Bottom