Could this be anything but bumblefoot?

mvdct

Songster
6 Years
Nov 17, 2016
Bristol, UK.
Hi BYC community,

Normal forum info provided below the photos, but in summary our guess is that this is bumblefoot - but we just wanted to check. It seems to be on both feet and also in multiple places... and partly because of this it doesn't seem like all the other bumblefoot pictures we've seen.

Hence just double checking. It's bumblefoot, right? It couldn't be anything else, could it?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Miles

07-13 both feet.JPG
07-13 LH foot (2).JPG
07-13 RH foot.JPG

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Type: Rhode Island Red
Age: Purchased at point of lay at end of May 2018 (now mid-July)
Weight: Normal compared to others

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Generally normal: laying, eating and drinking fine.
Has always spent more time standing on one foot and then the other than any of our other chickens - we commented on it the first day we got her (and didn't check her feet! [doh!])

In starting to do the Epsom salk salts, we have just realised she has some head lice issues too.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since day 1.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
See photos of feet (above)

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
We think we purchased her with it.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Normal.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just started on Epsom salt soaks.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Home treat for now. We're not sure, but there doesn't seem to be anything to cut out. What are your thoughts?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Done.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Dust extracted wood chippings in coop. Rounded perches. Not too high from floor.

You are correct. It is definitely bumblefoot.
Now days, surgery isn't the first course of action unless it is extreme.
I've had success with daily warm Epsom salt baths, then an application of echinacea, hypericum and calendula creams. Keep the bird confined on clean, dry bedding
Is the bird limping?

What type of surface are they walking on most of the time? Do they have bedding in their coop? It looks like bumblefoot, but there is evidence that they are walking on something sharp, such as sharp rocks that can cut the foot pads. I would examine all feet while asleep on the roosts, and think about preventing any further damage. Here is a good couple of links with videos on pododermatitis or bumblefoot by the same person:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens-3/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Thank you all for your replies.

You are correct. It is definitely bumblefoot.
Now days, surgery isn't the first course of action unless it is extreme.
I've had success with daily warm Epsom salt baths, then an application of echinacea, hypericum and calendula creams. Keep the bird confined on clean, dry bedding
Is the bird limping?

Thanks @ChickenCanoe. No, the bird isn't limping... but has always spent some time standing on one foot or the other when standing still.

Tell me, when you say: "an application of echinacea, hypericum and calendula creams" is that three seperate creams or one product? If three, do you apply all three at the same time? And then do you cover in gauze and Vetrap or something else? Grateful for your thoughts.

What type of surface are they walking on most of the time? Do they have bedding in their coop? It looks like bumblefoot, but there is evidence that they are walking on something sharp, such as sharp rocks that can cut the foot pads. I would examine all feet while asleep on the roosts, and think about preventing any further damage. Here is a good couple of links with videos on pododermatitis or bumblefoot by the same person:
https://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens-3/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Thanks for the videos @Eggcessive. Our birds free range in the garden most of the time. So they are on grass, in veggie patches or on concrete paths. And they have dust extracted wood chippings in the coop.

We've examined the other birds (we have 3), and it doesn't seem to be a shared issue. We think this bird may have had the problems since we got her at point of lay about 6 weeks ago.

I have had difficulty finding CEH cream all in one package in the US. You may have better luck in the UK.
I mixed calendula cream with tinctures of echinacea and hypericum.
I learned about this process from the Raptor Rehab of Kentucky. The process is about halfway down the following page.
http://www.oocities.org/gymnogyps_gray/bumblefoot2.html
After the Epsom salt soak, apply the cream and cover with gauze and vet wrap.
It is easier to do with a helper. Have a good bandage shears available. For human care, it recommended to apply 3 times a day. That may be tough with chickens but perhaps morning and evening would be helpful.
The more you use it, the quicker it works.

Back
Top Bottom