1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be cocci? (poo pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaitie09, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have 28, 4 week old Cornish x. Yesterday, I noticed a little blood, but not much. Today, there are some more droppings but I cannot figure out which one it is.

[​IMG]

It almost looks like worms, but with watery blood. The blood on the other droppings are watery too. All of them are up and running around, drinking and eating fine. They have been on medicated chick food from the beginning too.

I tried getting Sulmet today but my local TSC they did not have any. All of the stores around here only carry Duramycin. Could that work?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It could be shed intestinal lining which would be normal. If you wish, you could use corid (amprolium)...it would be in the cattle section at your feed store, either the 9.6% liquid solution or the 20% soluable powder will take care of cocci with no withdrawal. Here's a link to the poop chart:
    http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    A cocci outbreak will manifest itself most readily in the chickens themselves. They drop their wings and are generally very lethargic: don't drink much and eat very little. If this is not happening then dawg is correct. Since you didn't mention the tale-tell signs I seriously doubt it is cocci.

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    So I went back out there this morning and there is only 1 or 2 droppings with the blood. Everyone is still running around and eating and drinking fine. What could have caused 2 days of bleeding, and then almost nothing?

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Have you been feeding them something red, like tomatoes? That will do it LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by