Could this be Gapeworm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dlecolst, Aug 11, 2011.

1. dlecolst

dlecolst Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    I have a bird who is making a crow/cough noise along with an occasional sneeze. I was wondering if it could be gapeworm or am I dealing with possible MG/MS. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqabQunz1W8

2. dlecolst

Jun 6, 2010
    Sorry folks, try this:

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If she's eating and drinking normally, able to swallow, then it's not gapeworm. I watched the video, could it be something environmental? Feed dust for example, or pollen, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, bug sprays, DE etc....I'm not convinced that it could be a respiratory issue such as MG. She is very excited/active to be possibly sick; without wheezing, gurgling, bubbly eyes, runny nose and other sypmtoms.

4. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    boy or girl? Age? is there a rooster in the flock or all hens?

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Honestly, that bout gave me a heart attack. I don't know what that is except it sounded like a sneeze at the end. It's not unheard of for a hen to crow. Something strange seems to be going on but she looks active and alert, just a bit agitated?

6. dlecolst

Jun 6, 2010
    She is a hen, roughly 5 months old. I do have a few small roosters in the mix. Would this really matter? She has sneezed a few times, is active and is eating. I haven't noticed any discharge or bubbling.
    I currently have her isolated (maybe reason for being agitated). I'll just have to keep an eye on her. Thanks for the input.

7. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Actually, she sounds MAD as heck to me

8. dlecolst

Jun 6, 2010
    She was doing it in the comforts of her coop and that's when I decided to isolate her. She definitely doesn't like being in the crate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by