Could this be rats?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MakNat, May 16, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I know I have rats in the ground under my coop. I've seen one at least and there is a mound of dirt. I have tried to flood them and one came out and there I was running around chasing it like a crazy lady with a pitch fork. Needless to say it got away. I know if you see one there are always more. Ok one morning this poor little chick was just sitting there. AUGH... [​IMG] So sad, when I picked him up, one of his legs was torn off. Heartbreaking... I culled him. But now this morning there are 2 chicks and 4 ducklings missing. NO trace what so ever. Can rats eat that much and not leave a mess? I've tried traps with no luck. I can pit it under the porch of the coop. when I started taking the feed out at night they started on the babies. I think a measel would be the only other thing that could get in there, but don't they just kill and drink the blood mostly, so there would be a mess? If a snake ate that much he wouldn't be able to move.

2. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Oh I am so sorry you are going through this. I also removed the feed and wound up with some of the same issues you have. I haven't found an answer to our problem as of yet, but working on it.

3. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    I don't know, but you could try trapping for rats with a live trap in a place where the chicks can't get (so there would be no danger). You can pick up live traps at a lot of stores, probably at your feed & seed store. Sorry about your chickies!![​IMG]

As an afterthought-you could line the bottom of your coop with hardware cloth, because if rats can get in, so can raccoons and snakes. Better yet, add a wood floor.

4. ChixPix

ChixPix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I would definitely go the hardware cloth floor route myself.

So happy I have a cement!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by