Could this be something other than coccidia?

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
I noticed my 8 week old chicks had Coccidia a week ago, watery, mucus and blood in their poop. I started treating them with liquid Corid 2 tsp per gallon 5 days ago and it doesn’t seem to be helping much with some of them. 1 died on day 2 of treatment and another just died on day 5 of treatment. I’m thinking something else is going on with them but I’m not sure what. They are lethargic and very underweight, some are very small compared to the others their age and are still having watery poop. They have unlimited amount of chick starter food and I make their Corid water daily. Could it be worms? Does anyone know what it could be or how to help them?

Attachments

• 633D7AC9-6BCD-4A94-8280-AE5463DC6776.jpeg
    633D7AC9-6BCD-4A94-8280-AE5463DC6776.jpeg
    618 KB · Views: 9
Have the chicks been drinking enough of the Corid? Sometimes they may need a sulfa antibiotic such as sulfadimethoxine or bactrim if the strain of coccidia is resistant to Corid. I would give her a direct dose of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml twice a day as a boost. Coccidiosis damages the intestines and can cause a failure to gain weight. Sorry for your loss. Your local vet could give you sulfa sooner, but you may order it here for fish:
https://www.chewy.com/fishbiotic-su...MIu-nmtPyf8QIVDW1vBB2PfQuyEAQYDyABEgJ7J_D_BwE

I think dosage is 1/4 tablet twice a day, but I need to double check that.

Have the chicks been drinking enough of the Corid? Sometimes they may need a sulfa antibiotic such as sulfadimethoxine or bactrim if the strain of coccidia is resistant to Corid. I would give her a direct dose of undiluted Corid 0.1 ml twice a day as a boost. Coccidiosis damages the intestines and can cause a failure to gain weight. Sorry for your loss.
The two that died I was giving .1 ml once a day because they were worse than the rest and hand feeding them with chick food I added water to. Even though they were eating they both slowly got worse to the point they were to weak to stand and eventually passed, I’m really hoping to save the rest, they aren’t as skinny as the two that died. I will try 0.1 ml twice a day for the others and see if it helps.

Last edited:
8 week old chicks had Coccidia a week ago, watery, mucus and blood in their poop. I started treating them with liquid Corid 2 tsp per gallon 5 days ago and it doesn’t seem to be helping much with some of them. 1 died on day 2 of treatment and another just died on day 5 of treatment.

They are lethargic and very underweight, some are very small compared to the others their age and are still having watery poop.
I agree, you may need to add an antibiotic. It would be a good idea to send the ones that just died to your state lab for testing. It looks like you are dealing with respiratory illness within your flock too? If you can find out more, then you may be able to get on top of whatever is affecting your birds.

NC has 4 labs. Here's a link http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

Here's your 2 recent threads as well. Having birds from multiple breeders you risk bringing in disease that may be hard to control.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/questions-about-respiratory-disease.1476291/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...chick-i-have-no-idea-what’s-going-on.1474618/

I noticed my 8 week old chicks had Coccidia a week ago, watery, mucus and blood in their poop. I started treating them with liquid Corid 2 tsp per gallon 5 days ago and it doesn’t seem to be helping much with some of them. 1 died on day 2 of treatment and another just died on day 5 of treatment. I’m thinking something else is going on with them but I’m not sure what. They are lethargic and very underweight, some are very small compared to the others their age and are still having watery poop. They have unlimited amount of chick starter food and I make their Corid water daily. Could it be worms? Does anyone know what it could be or how to help them?
My chickens presented very similar. I took the poop to a vet and had Coccidia confirmed. Started treating with Corid (by the way your supposed to do rounds of Corid according to the vet I asked). First one chicken was sick. I separated her and started treating them all. She died and soon more were lethargic and sick. Then some started to limp and more were dying. I realized soon I had the dreaded Maericks disease and it wiped out 85% of my birds.
My birds developed the conditions older though. And I don’t think Maericks manifests normally that early.

Back
Top Bottom