1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this Buff be a cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gdsgirl32, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gdsgirl32

Gdsgirl32 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

We have 4 Buff Orpingtons the same age. This one and one more have a bigger brighter comb and this one is starting to get waddles. Two of them have very small pale combs. I am so hoping this one will be a roo. I keep wishing I could get a picture with 2 of them together to show the difference. They are around 7 weeks. I have heard its harder to tell the Buff Orpingtons sex. We got these at Tractor Supply as pullets. I know that is not always a guarantee though. What do you all think??

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If its only 7 weeks then I'd say definitely a boy.

3. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    If its already older than I say 3 months it's a pullet

4. Gdsgirl32

Gdsgirl32 New Egg

Apr 16, 2012
    Virginia
    I just looked on the calendar and my husband picked these up from Tractor Supply on March 4th this year. So I am guessing maybe going on 7 weeks old. They were just getting little feathers on their wings when he bought them home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by