Could this design really house six chickens?

We downloaded the design specs. For this model back in March and it is how we had built our coop- except we doubled everything thinking it would fit six comfortably. This website says that the original design size can house six chickens, it just seems way small for six- even ours where the size is double seems tight sometimes for our big breeds. What do you think? Thank you.
I always go by what I have read in good chicken books, 4 sq ft for large, 3 for medium and a bit less for small. Fudge a bit if you freerange every day and if you have a very large pen. It seems to work for me.

We downloaded the design specs. For this model back in March and it is how we had built our coop- except we doubled everything thinking it would fit six comfortably. This website says that the original design size can house six chickens, it just seems way small for six- even ours where the size is double seems tight sometimes for our big breeds. What do you think? Thank you.
Yes, it will work. Run area seems small to me but I free range mine. The price seems a bit on the RIDICULOUS side. Could you build your own?

The RIR hens coop is next to the house and their yard is fenced in using the house as part of the fence. The Cinnamon Queen hens is just next door to the RIR hen yard.

While I was building the run for the Cinnamon Queen hens they had a dog kennel to watch me work through the pop door.
View attachment 2265532

Finally got the roof on... (work by myself).
View attachment 2265534

A temporary corral for the chicks so they could get outside while I worked.
View attachment 2265537
View attachment 2265539

Finally almost done (need a couple more rolls of 1" x 1" cage wire but there is none to be found.
View attachment 2265540

Run camera view
View attachment 2265541

JT
Great job JT

I bought a similar sized coop online (from China) and it's really only suitable for 2 small bunnies. In your case, this one looks good for 3-4 full grown, standard sized chickens. If you have bantams though, or silkies / small breed--then, 6-8 should fit in this one...

Back
Top Bottom