could this egg turner work?!?!

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
So this week, i plan on hatching some eggs in the incubator. I tried a homemade egg turner which didnt hatch twice, and i tried hand turning which was better but 50% hatch because sometimes i forget to turn and i turn 2 times a day. As i heard that turning more gets better hatch rate, i was thinking, why not make something similar to and egg turner but full turn and not just rock the eggs. Like get hardware wire (the ones for coops and stuff) and make something like a box that can fit the eggs perfect and snug. And the just turn all eggs at once about 8 times a day. Do you think it would work?

So this week, i plan on hatching some eggs in the incubator. I tried a homemade egg turner which didnt hatch twice, and i tried hand turning which was better but 50% hatch because sometimes i forget to turn and i turn 2 times a day. As i heard that turning more gets better hatch rate, i was thinking, why not make something similar to and egg turner but full turn and not just rock the eggs. Like get hardware wire (the ones for coops and stuff) and make something like a box that can fit the eggs perfect and snug. And the just turn all eggs at once about 8 times a day. Do you think it would work?
If you are talking about a complete 360---are you talking about end over end or laying on their side and side over side??? Its sometimes better to not try and re-invent the wheel!! BUT If I was Curious---I would get to building. I like mine to rock back and forth---you know---tilt to the right, then tilt to the left. As far as turning only twice a day---I do not feel that was the reason you only hatched 50%?? A Long time ago I forgot to plug in my turner from day one and had about a 50% hatch---never being turned.

Like turning them from one side to the other. Same as hand turning. I see it would be a better and faster way.
If you have eggs laying on their side and want them on the other side----if the rack they are laying in is 16" wide----then the incubator would probably have to be 24" tall to clear the water and the heating element, etc--a lot extra to have to heat----BUT, you could have 2 racks or more so it does not have to be as tall, also you could have them in a wire type rack---open the top, pick up the whole rack and turn it over manually instead of one at the time----naw I do not like to hand turn.

I promise you that with them standing and tilting a 45 degree to the right then a 45 degree to the left does as good as them laying on their side.

Back
Top Bottom