Could this happen ?!!! :O

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by magicpigeon, Nov 29, 2010.

1. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Could a silkie roo somehow mate with a light sussex hen? Just thinking about size difference and how ugly the offspring would look...[​IMG]

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    [​IMG] Yes, they'd be VERY ugly. It is possible. Even bantam roosters mate with standard hens.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    UGH *shields eyes*
    What if there was another roo who was an Australorp? Right now I have no idea how to separate all my chickens, as they free range. Aside from sussex/silkie crosses, I'm also worried about australorp/silkie (my poor hen would be crushed XD ) and sussex/australorp...[​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, it can happen.

I have a Silkie cock bird in my static hen yard flock. He's nearly the size of the smaller dual-purpose hens and when he thinks Hopalong isn't paying attention he'll make a play for one of the big girls. Most of them won't put up with his nonsense, but every once in a while he scores. In fact the last time I saw him get lucky it was with a little Speckled Sussex. No idea what the chicks would look like though.

We've hatched eggs out of that flock before and I wondered if any of them were going to come out looking Silkiefied, but none did. They were all Hopalong's.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Its definitely possible. I have 5 red cochin X BA cross chicks. Actually they aren't that bad looking going to keep the 2 black pullets to see what they look like grown. Silkie X Sussex, that would be interesting to say the least!

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    here is a pic of my silkie/black copper marans mix. Silkie was momma and BCM daddy I think they are so cute
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by