Could this rooster be a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by branston, Oct 5, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I have a main flock of 8, that we hatched back in April, 2 roos and 6 hens. Because we wanted to keep both the roos we needed to get more hens so we got 2 RIRs, a Barred Rock, 3 Brahamas, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Ameracaunas. I know for sure that the Ameracaunas, Buffs, Brahamas and the Rock are hens and I also know for sure, that 1 of the RIRs is a roo (he's crowing his head off!) The other RIR has me a bit baffled.......it looks like a rooster although the comb and wattles aren't as bright red or as big as the other RIR roo? I see what look like spurs forming on the legs, however, this morning, I watched one of my other roos doing the dance, putting down a wing etc to this particular RIR, although the roo didn't mount the RIR?? Could this RIR be a hen????? I'm praying that it is because we love these two RIRs and would love to keep them but 4 roos in a flock of 20 probably isn't a good idea and we can't get more hens.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Roos will strut and flirt with any chicken, other roos included! You could post pics. here for help.

Check the feathers just in front of the tail. A hen's feathers there are short and rounded while the roos will be long, skinny and pointed.

And I have a few hens with spurs so not always reliable to sex them that way! good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by