Could use a little help with breed ID's (Pic Heavy)

Tiller

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
My order arrived from McMurray Hatchery, 16 happy and sassy little rainbow layer chicks. I have an idea on a few of them, but not sure on the rest. Might be too early to tell on a few, but that's alright I just enjoy the fact of having a mixed bag of breeds, colors and sizes.

Temporary holding to get them re-hydrated and fed before I move them into their bigger indoor brooder for a few days.

The first three chipmunks could be a number of things, but if they have greenish legs and cheekpuffs, probably EEs. The blue might be an Andalusian. Brown Leghorn for the darker chipmunk, not sure about the light one. Black Australorps with more white, and Black Stars. NHR, SS Hamburgs, Buff Orp my guesses so far. That is a nice selection you got.

Last edited:
My order arrived from McMurray Hatchery, 16 happy and sassy little rainbow layer chicks. I have an idea on a few of them, but not sure on the rest. Might be too early to tell on a few, but that's alright I just enjoy the fact of having a mixed bag of breeds, colors and sizes.

I'd say that this is either an Easter Egger or a Partridge Rock.

What type of comb does this one have? And, does it look the same as the next chick?

Maybe Easter Egger

Might be a Blue Andalusian or a Splash Andalusian

Light-Brown Leghorn possibly

Maybe a Leghorn as well.

Either a Black Jersey Giant, Black Sex-Link, or a Black Australorp. A small possiblity of being a Black Minorca.

Same as above

Same as above.

Same as above.

Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire Red. Seems to dark to be a Buff Orpington.

Silver-Spangled Hamburg

Another Hamburg

Buff Orpington possibly

Temporary holding to get them re-hydrated and fed before I move them into their bigger indoor brooder for a few days.
Here are my guesses(Sorry for the long post)!:

I got a surprise batch of chickens from another hatchery (in case you don't know that means different breeds) and it had some that looked like a few of yours. i tried to find out what they were when they arrived but found out they might be one of several breeds and so I waited till they older and were getting their adult feathers and was able to tell what they were a lot easier. I would recommend you wait till they get older as it will be much easier to figure out what breeds you have.

I know ID gets easier as they get older it's just fun to guess all along, thats part of the fun of getting a mixed bag

Back
Top Bottom