could use a little more help please - Lavendar feathering question

kizanne

Songster
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I have what i call a lavendar (possibly splash) americauna hen

I bred her to a 100% Black English Orphington.

I hatched out a chick that is silvery very much like her mother was in the incubator

Really hard to see the color here can't get enough light in there.

So Is my americauna called lavendar splash? Does the appearance of silver in the baby indicate the Orphington has a silver or lav gene?

I know the baby will be an EE. The hen on top came from someone here who said pure americauna. I know not everyone actually means that but all her babies lay a very blue egg. Not green, not light blue or some shade so I think she was telling the truth.

But the original question was does the Orphington have a recessive lav or silver gene if a baby is silver or lav.

Splash is not a recognized color, you have an EE. Most all my EE's that I had laid blue eggs then some of my Ameraucana's. I actually used the EE's to start my Olive Egger project, because their eggs were so blue. Just because they lay a blue egg doesn't make them Ameraucana, I love the EE's and she is very pretty. It doesn't mater if you are mixing her anyway, she should pass the blue egg.
http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

Based on my mixed breed chicks that have hatched, I would call your chick blue. Our splashes at hatch look almost yellow. The blues range in intensity from light to dark. There is a german chicken genetic coloring chart online somewhere that tells you what colors yield what colors percentagewise in a hatch.
We cross EEs and marans

Thanks all. So she is a splash EE, but I suspect or hope with 2 blue egg genes.

If she hatched all blue I'd be thrilled. the baby is a silvery gray which is what she hatched out just a little lighter.

I've been to the German chart and I'm afraid I don't understand it very well. I did use it to confirm the advice I received regarding my sex link chicks.

If I understand Nicalandia correctly it doesn't matter if the roo has a recessive gene or not they will be blue?

Splash is not a recognized color, you have an EE. Most all my EE's that I had laid blue eggs then some of my Ameraucana's. I actually used the EE's to start my Olive Egger project, because their eggs were so blue. Just because they lay a blue egg doesn't make them Ameraucana, I love the EE's and she is very pretty. It doesn't mater if you are mixing her anyway, she should pass the blue egg.
http://www.ameraucana.org/standard.html

I'm confused on your statement that splash isn't a recognized color for Ameraucana. It was my understanding that blue doesn't breed true and results in blue black and splash birds? Any chance its a blue splash? I don't think its lavender, the color is wrong for that.

No matter weather she is pure ameraucana or not she is beautiful and the English Orpington if beautiful and they will make beautiful blue babies

Back
Top Bottom