Could use some compassionate advice about cat dying.

Honestly... cats are different than dogs. They tend to be more of loners than dogs. Being that way, I think that they tend to like to pass on in peace. As some others have said, if he needs you, he will wait for you. If not, then he'll do it in his own time, his own way. Your daughter is more important and from the sounds of it, she needs you more than he does. If he just wants to sleep, let him be and go about the things you need to get done. I'm sorry you're having to go through this.
hugs.gif

I really appreciate everyone's responses!
He's an indoor cat, so he has lots of safe places. And Suzi, our dog is here too.
Its really hard to know if he's suffering. I took him out in the sun today and he seemed to like it. He slept on the deck for awhile, and then stood in the grass for a little bit, but didn't have the strength to go anywhere. It was a perfect day outside for him.
We never let him out before, for fear he would run off. We live in the woods. But now, we know he won't go anywhere and we stay with him.
You've all given me lots to think about, and lots of support and I'm really grateful.
Thanks again.

Well, I won't have to make that hard choice. Kitty passed away early this morning. I spent the day yesterday talking to him and telling him how much we love him and how he enriched our lives. He seemed to be fairly comatose yesterday, only occasionally waking up and trying to move.
Last night my husband slept on the floor next to him last night. Kitty moved off his pad (he was incontinent) and my husband moved him back onto it. Then he died.
Its so hard to lose a pet. The house will seem so empty.
Thank you Titter Tat for giving so much to our family. We will miss you forever.

i'm so sorry. i'm having some tears for you....

i'm sure he appreciated all the love you gave him.

hugs

I understand completely and it will get better. Memories are always there. I once had a Turkish Van named Kitty. She was my companion for many years. She passed when I was holding her. It took me about 5 years until Myles came along. She will never be replaced, but now I have a rescue cat that we love too. He was in such bad shape that we had to rescue him and he's a great cat.
Your cat did appreciate all the love!

Thank you OhioFarmGirl and LoveMyChix,

Maybe I'm just a wuss, or can't tolerate that kind of emotional pain, but its sooooooo hard to lose a pet. I get just overwhelmed with the grief.
But I guess that's normal and what I'm wanting is for it not to hurt......which just isn't possible when you love something that much.
I just don't want to turn into a person who quits getting animals because it hurts too much to lose them.
I guess its sort of like childbirth..........at the time you think "I can't possibly do this again!), but after its over and you love this little wonderful being, you forget the pain, and into your mind starts to creep the thought "Gee....wouldn't another one be nice?"
I just have to grieve for awhile........but darnit, I don't like grieving!

Quote:
It's so true - the emotional pain is the pits. I always try to force myself to redirect my emotions to caring and loving the living. That's one reason I could never have just 1 pet (I don't see that being a problem for awhile!). When one passes, whether cat, dog, chicken, etc, I put extra effort in spending time/energy on the living. I plant flowers at the gravesite and say a "good-by, see ya later prayer", and give extra hugs to the other critters. The chickens are always there for the grave-digging, the dogs lay around and watch, and the cats are never far away, all saying good-bye (I like to think so). Of course, grieving is a process not to be ignored, but time truly does heal.
hugs.gif
Hang in there, and have fun with your daughter this weekend!
smile.png

p.s. Kinda interesting that he left before the weekend, huh? I think they know a lot more than many give them credit for knowing!

believe me i understand!

you just go ahead and cry, honey. and dont be surprised if it hits you at odd times. its ok to just go with it.

and yes you just need to keep on keepin' on.. as i type this i have Nicholas and Little Mo, "two gray boys" crawling over the computer - just part of The Insane Cat Posse that have found us. that doesnt mean that i dont miss my dear old friend of 19 years - it still hurts me to say her name - but as thebritt said, you just give to who you've got. just think how wonderful to get your daughter off to school! maybe you'll take a break from cats - but i have a feeling the perfect little friend will come along, at the perfect time for you.

hang in there - we're all sending hugs!

Thank you so much thebritt and ohiofarmgirl.
You've said such comforting things and I truly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom