Could use some help....hens or roos?:)

Attolia97

Hatching
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Have been stalking this site for awhile and thought it was time to post:)

Our chickens are about 7 weeks old now.
We have 2 Leghorns, 2 Andalusians(I think?), 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben and 5 Cochins.The cochins were straight run and the others were sold to us as pullets. the thing is it seems that 5 of our 10 Chickens are Turning out to be roos.......

Our Appenzeller Spitzhauben Lady
..Just had to put her in though I'm pretty sure she's a hen.

This is Franchise... Our really fat greedy cochin

same as above

same as above

same as above

Pretty sure this is a Andalusian.....A roo? It's the sweetest thing.

Our Silver Laced cochin lady, when comparing her to the rest of the cochins it seems like there all roosters....

This is F.T.T. (Failure to thrive) He is our weird, stunted little runt.

Cochins..........Roos?

So what do you think?
Since we live in the suburbs the roosters are going to have to go......Its such a shame. They're gorgeous and quite sweet.

Well all the caching I see except one definitely look like boys. The black and white one is a girl though...and as for the Andalusian it does have combs and waddles that usually only show up this age on boys..so... looks like you very well might have a lot of roosters. I seem to be hatching a lot of roosters so far this year myself...

thx for replying. ...we ended up getting 9 more sexed chicks two weeks ago because of our over abundance of roos. If we didn't have neighbors I would love to keep a few....seems like they're going to end up in the freezer though, unless I can re-home them.

We have 2 Leghorns, 2 Andalusians(I think?), 1 Appenzeller Spitzhauben and 5 Cochins.The cochins were straight run and the others were sold to us as pullets. the thing is it seems that 5 of our 10 Chickens are Turning out to be roos.......

This is Franchise... Our really fat greedy cochin ( unsure... could be either way)

same as above

same as above

same as above

Pretty sure this is a Andalusian.....A roo? It's the sweetest thing. ( girl I think as males would have much bigger combs and wattles by now)

Our Silver Laced cochin lady, when comparing her to the rest of the cochins it seems like there all roosters.... Girl

(Unsure but I suspect boy)

Cochins..........Roos? boys

Boy

So what do you think?
Since we live in the suburbs the roosters are going to have to go......Its such a shame. They're gorgeous and quite sweet.

By 7 weeks a chick with a red comb and Wattles is surely a boy. Pellets don't go red until they are closer to laying usually.

Pullet.
Cockerel.
This is Franchise... Our really fat greedy cochin

Probably a cockerel, but Andalusians are like Leghorns in that they often develop larger combs at a younger age.
Pretty sure this is a Andalusian.....A roo? It's the sweetest thing.

The patchy coloring on the wings is a cockerel sign, but the comb/wattles make me think pullet.
Our Silver Laced cochin lady, when comparing her to the rest of the cochins it seems like there all roosters....

Cockerel.

Both are cockerels.

So what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom