1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could we get a State search option?

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by countyroad1330, Jun 21, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I was thinking, it would be wonderful if we had the option to search for users by location. I know not everyone puts the state in their location, but alot of us do. We okies have an awesome list, thanks to Buckguy20, but what about all the other states???

2. line-rat

line-rat Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2007
    west central ohio
    I like that Idea ....[​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Nifty, is it posible to add a search criteria in the drop down where it has "user", "no. of posts" and "registered"?

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Searching location by State? I can see how that would be helpful. The biggest challenges will be:

1) Having everyone use the same system for entering their location: California, CA, Cal, NorCal, Cali, etc. etc. etc.

2) Coding the search.

I'll add it to the list of suggestions. I think best thing to do would be to have a state pull down selection and search by that.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I think it would be nice to if everyone had to list their state under their name.

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

My state is obviously under my name, but this is the internet and not everyone may be comfortable listing the state they live in under their name. I wasn't for a while, but then got over it. [​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't ever want to force anyone to put their exact location, but I guess I think just the state is pretty generic. I just think it helps sometimes when someone's asking for help and the advise you offer might be fine for Florida, but not for Alaska.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I completely agree with you there. There are people who were complaining about heat waves when I still had snow on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by