Could we have Barred Hollands?

Icebox Farm

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 23, 2011
Hi everyone! We started with two BR's that were about 5 months old. From that moment, we were hooked. After having the first two for quite a few months, we built a large coop/run & added 4 young (what we thought were) BR's. They are now 6 months old.

In the last couple of months, we've added 8 BO's and 3 white Leghorns (they were all older and closer to laying).

When we began getting more than 3 white eggs a day, we suspected something weird was going on. . .

Yesterday we got 6 white eggs.

We believe the 4 younger BR's are BH's. I'm not exactly sure how to tell. They're smaller than our two original BR's (Pris and Roxie).

I was wondering if anyone could give us some clues to look for. I suppose the white egg thing is a dead giveaway
smile.png
but does that confirm the breed or could they be something else?

In this pic, a BR is in the front & two of "the others" are in the back:
http://www.iceboxchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/chickens.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tasha

Last edited:
Hollands' earlobes are usually red with a white center, but they could be anywhere between all red & all white (helpful, ain't it). The ones in your pic looked just like barred Hollands to me, and them being a little smaller than BR's makes sense. Pat yourself on the back, b/c Hollands are kind of rare (ALBC Conservation Status: Critical). They are known for being calm and hardy, and good foragers as well. You lucked out! Enjoy those pretty Hollands!

Back
Top Bottom