COUNTING CHICKENS

yevonne

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2017
Hi!

So for an English project, I have to teach my chickens tricks. I have seen multiple videos on chickens pecking the right amount of times based on the number of dots/ shapes on a surface. Science has already proven that chickens can count, or at least form a mental number line, and perform basic math. I really want to accomplish this but it doesn't seem to be working. My chicken gets distracted and doesn't understand the concept that if she pecks a card, she will get a treat (dried mealworms). I have tried placing a mealworm on the notecard; have my chicken peck (eat) it; and then give her another mealworm afterwards. She is kind of getting the gist because sometimes she will peck the notecard without any mealworms if we keep tapping it with our fingers. But it's not consistent and she keeps wandering off. My original plan was to get her used to the idea that if she pecks she gets a treat and start with one dot on a card and work my way up the number line and stop at six. Now, I just want her to understand the fact that she only gets treats when she pecks the dot! Obviously I don't want to force her into anything but does anybody have any other ideas on how I can train my chicken to count?

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom