1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Counting Sheep...Gonna Wanna Sleep...Bedroom by Moi Critters??

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CanuckBock, Jan 27, 2016.

1. CanuckBock

CanuckBock THE Village Ijit

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

'kay, got Jacobs...got hundreds of pounds of fleece now. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nascor and Regis as yearlings

Biosecure and I shear my own.

[​IMG]

Got ele shears but prefer the old hand ones...go slow, no heat issues, voila...sheep sans a gorgeous fleece. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regis...2008

[​IMG]

Coupla years back me and my Hero, we investigated having socks made up. The woollen mill gave you pennies of a discount for providing yer own wool to make them into socks for you...blah on that.

So like now that I need a new mattress...t'was thinking (dangerous indeed). Why not use my OWN raw fleeces, eh? I don't relish all the new fangled additives that are in beds...we spend alot of time sleeping so it needs to be a healthful area...

[​IMG]
    Emmy checking for sheeps...smells like there should be sheeps??

So with the hundreds of pounds, raw fleece back since 2003 when we got the Jacobs, my staple is like 5 to 6 inches (even too long in some cases for a commercial mill to handle) and most of my sheep have that next to the skin dreamy you forget it's there kinda fiber. Cloud dreamy sleepiness fiber...wonderful, wonderful wool.

So I bin looking round the web at wool mattresses...

Anyone done that here...I did a quick search of byc (maybe not quite the right forum) and am at a loss. I have joined Shetland list on yahoo but waiting on a reply back. I do not do mugmag, so won't go there, so please don't post any links to that.

[​IMG]

Fur my last bird day (day I was hatched), I got me a new sewing machine...so back doing that thing too after a leave of absence of like 30 years...and looking at the mattress as another doable with a sewing machine once again at my disposal! This one is suppose to be good at sewing thru nine layers of denim...mechanical, not some computerized one that calfs out in a few years...reliable like me even tho some of me parts need upgrading...and crafty too. [​IMG]

I am very excited to get working on this project...here is some links I found...

This one is in French and mine is tres mauvais...but lookit the pics...hmmm...lofty lofty...

http://www.laine-et-compagnie.fr/co...elassage-ou-garnissage-bourrelage-capitonnage:

[​IMG]
    Hmm...looks like a tufted couch...like how one treats Naugahyde...[​IMG] but its got my mind steaming along...this could be DOable... [​IMG]

The bed for the actual mattress, I see suggestions like this below but places like Ikea (nfi) also sell futon type beds and pondering, that they could work rather nicely! My hero could zip this up as he is also a cabinet maker...we could Alaska mill the pine (got lots of pine here even on the place, eh) and air dry it...could be a mattress and a bed that is way too healthy...might live furever, eh. Sleeping on these contraptions.

[​IMG]

http://www.shepherdsdream.ca/product-info/product-care/
    Quote:
    So I am BIG...so I want a king sized mattress (like I currently have had) and want one that is five inches (like a firm mattress and a woollen one on wooden slats seems perfection!).

http://www.holylamborganics.com/collections/organic-mattresses/products/wool-mattress:
    So like a king sized wool mattress is posted as worth $2,655.00....yeh, and there is also the scare tactics that some dip their sheep in nasty chemicals (sheep dippity do?) and whilst the wool I have is NOT organic (whoop!), I don't have any worries about nasty contaminated wool. No keds, lice, no foot rot...no need to dip them, eh.

[​IMG]
    Ewe Barn...or the Sheep Dip Inn with the sign over the entrance that reads, sheep dip out!

Add in that I abhor the thought of noxious chemicals in commercial mattresses of foam and fire retardants AND the woollen mattresses can be hung out in the sunlight once a year to sanitize, you can restuff them so some wool mattresses are like 50 years and still going on strong! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have four ganders to process (Buff Geese) and thinking feather pillows are not too off the mark either...so yeh, my critters may be able to contribute some healthful additions to the boudoir setup...kewl er what, eh.

Thrilled, impatient and excited...green horn exuberant...mostly jest wanting to see how more self-sufficient one can be...and the gifts the creatures bestow us...well that makes it even more awesome. [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
    Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

2. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Some more wool mattress details...

http://www.wool-bedding.com/how-we-make-wool-bedding.html:
    Now to not felt wool...you need to avoid the three felting conditions...heat, moisture and agitation...avoid any one of the ingredients and you avoid felting the wool.

So I can begin washing my Jacob fiber...use 170 degree water...thinking some soap like Dawn (nfi) or maybe better to use Ivory Snow (nfi) or maybe someones gonna bound in here and tell me a real good source of good soap fer washing the wool with. Jacob's don't have alot of lanolin and their handle is soft because of the fiber, not the oils. The oils/lanolin is what gives wool the sheepy smell...I like it, like I like the smell of the outside of a horse (excluding the road apple part, eh). [​IMG]

Wool is naturally fire retardant...so bedding made from wool...well we get that bonus part...naturally! [​IMG]

http://www.iwto.org/wool/factsheet/:
    Wool and Flame Resistance:
    Wool is lookin' better and better...all the time... [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I have every confidence in you Tara. If anyone can do it - you CAN!!

1 person likes this.
  4. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Hmmm...searching out wool and mattresses... [​IMG]

Scottish Blackface sheep...Staple length of 10 to 14 inches and good for mattresses...hmmm....interesting... [​IMG]

5. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Whoo...where to get a long needle...tee hee...and learning that stripes on mattresses served more purpose than decorative...tee hee...

http://designandwool.blogspot.ca/2013/04/mattress-making.html

Quote: I am so getting my head wrapped around this mattress idea and it is looking so doable...kewl...

The thickness of the striped material to cover the wool...the big needle and honking good thick thread...the why & what for of the buttons...am really thinking this is not so difficult. [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

6. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
  7. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Have contacted and got a reply back from a friend that made a wool saddle pad with burlap (not recommended...a rug hooking base would be better) and wool rovings...using a rug hook latcher, she said it took a very long time but the product she made was adequate. Put that on the shelf of potential tidbits in this fiasco I am absorbing and poking up.

This place has an absolute ton of wool crafting items.

http://www.shuttleworks.com/

So gonna go thru and see if any books, maybe a long needle can be bought...just an all round woolly place to go investigate. Heck I could uncover a video on how to make a wool mattress even...but you jest never know!

Contacted Olds College (worked for AB Ag back in 1998 which was in Olds--long commute of 2.5 hours round trip but I know how to go there, eh), in June every year they have a "fibre week" and never gone but e-mailed to see if they have any experts that could even teach me how to process a raw fleece correctly and that would be nifty on a stick even. Having someone that has done a wool mattress would be too much to expect, but hey, got five months to see what they can roust up, eh.

[​IMG]
    How dreamy cloudish is this?? [​IMG]

The more I investigate the wool mattress...the more I wanna see this completed. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the bed I am thinking of acquiring...very perfect for this project...beauty on the storage drawers under the bed... me like it! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This wooden slatted framework is under it...should work fab to let the wool mattress breath.

[​IMG]

This is some bedding airing...sunlight kills so many things and hanging it all out on the clothes line my Hero made me...fresh air and dreamy...hmmm....fresh from the clothes line is wonderful!

Hand-Made Wool Mattresses in Paris
    Heather Stimmler-Hall - August 14, 2010

8. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Heel low:

Starting to get how to find this relevant info...upholstery. They got stuff I can use for mattress making. The "tufting needles" netted me a whole grouping of neato wins... As with all things, you get in the groove when you begin to get the language used...the areas of relevance are jest a POPPIN' up now!
    [​IMG]

Cripers...tufting needles...in Quebec...

http://www.mattresstufting.com/needles.html

Needles <shiver>...long ones...six to 18 inches long...yikes! [​IMG]

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/555.html

Patterns...how to's from the Nor Carolina Rowley Company

http://www.rowleycompany.com/content/how-to-guides.asp

BEDDING section...

- the round pet bed one...course I like [​IMG] I've made rawhide sheep rugs but for Emmy and Lacy...I wanted to stuff a dog bed for them...with our own wool... them hundreds of pounds are starting to evaporate quickly eh.

- plus there is some on making pillows AND duvets...kewl.

[​IMG] AWESOME! [​IMG]

Heard back from a lovely lady on my Jacob Sheeper list that she already belongs to BYC and will come by and visit my thread...she's got a buncha clean wool and she too is finding this topic tres interesting! She is thinking of making wool comforters...all relevant...bedding... [​IMG]

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins

9. lilcows

lilcows Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    I was pretty sure that I was a member here :)
    Great pictures. I think I could do this. I remember reading about sewing the wool in cheesecloth to keep it from shifting. I will be home in a few days and look on the computer. I know how to wash wool but I haven't done it. I usually send it out for processing.

Regards,
    Margaret

10. CanuckBock

Oct 25, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    My Coop
    Yah!

Happy to see you here Margaret! [​IMG]

Because I have "raw" fleeces...cut from the shoulder of the Jacobs...I have not investigated how to wash and dry it properly. I am going to have to step up and research it.

Here is some info and pics (yeh, I can actually retrieve my pics from March of 2013 quite quickly...almost like I am organized or sumthun eh... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made my second tour of the Custom Woolen Mills in March of 2013 with my spouse and my SIL...it was very fun! These are my photos and I have posted quotes from the mills website to help explain some of this. I find this very fascinating and it was a wonderful tour...second time I absorbed alot more than the first time...like anything after 15 minutes you tend to zone out...I think I dun retained more this 2nd time! Kewl... [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    March 28, 2013 - Wool shop and wool storage area
    http://customwoolenmills.com/:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by