Help me decide on chickens

scyllarus

Songster
Oct 12, 2023
Florida, USA
Hello! My husband and I are moving in a few months (around October, probably) and we'll be on some property (iirc we have like...1/4 acre, I think). I need to check the details on the actual ordinances but a quick Google search of the city and county says I should be able to keep chickens - even roosters - as long as they're not a nuisance. We're in a suburban area in Georgia, so I don't expect to have a huge number of predators. The weather gets hot and humid in the summer (up to 100F a few days out of the year) and somewhat cold in the winter (typical temps around 30's, dips down to 20's here and there). We get thunderstorms often in the summer and we very rarely get snow.

We already keep Coturnix quail as our current producers (no room/not allowed chickens where we are now) and are thinking of putting them in a nice aviary and keeping them more as pets rather than producers. We'll probably end up keeping a small backyard flock of chickens, maybe 5-6? We're accustomed to culling birds but would rather keep them for eggs vs meat. Pet production, if you will.

So! Now that that's out of the way, here's what I'm looking for:
Friendly - I like to interact with my animals. I don't *need* to pick them up and hug them, but it's a bonus if I can snuggle a chicken.
Friendly with other chickens - I have enough trauma from quail scalping each other, thanks.
Not flighty - We don't really have predators. I'm more worried that they'll fly out of the yard and get hit by a car.
Heat-hardy - I'm happy to provide a fan and wading pool, but they need to be able to tolerate hot and humid summers.

Things that matter less:
Eggs - We don't really eat that many eggs, maybe a dozen a week? So 3 eggs a week per hen is more than fine. All colors are welcome, too, but I wouldn't mind if I could get a couple of different colors.
Broodiness - I don't mind if they go broody, we're likely to want to raise a few chicks at some point anyway.
Quiet roosters - I know this is probably not a thing, but breeds with quieter roosters would be welcome. I don't think we'll start with a rooster, but we might end up with one.
Size - Smaller is probably better? We have small dogs (who have been around chickens without issue) and I would be distraught if one got hurt. On the other hand, bantams are apparently better at flight, so maybe not.
Foraging - Frankly, there's not that much to forage for the hens. The backyard is just standard grass with a few trees at the edge of the property.
Aesthetics - I think most chickens are beautiful! But I noticed I really like bearded/muffed chickens, certain colors (blue/black/splash, mottled/spangled, laced, mille fleur). I'm fine with silkie or frizzle feathers. I'm not as fond of naked necks or short legs.

Things I want to avoid:
Vaulted skull - I'm fine with crests, but not with vaulted skulls if I can help it.
Feathered feet - It's hot, it's muddy after thunderstorms. I would consider a breed with feathered feet but it's not preferred.
Exotic breeds - It's not so much I don't want them as it's likely going to be a pain to find one.

Congrats on the new space! To be honest I would not consider a Rooster on limited land space. I know many people would but I think a way EASIER, peaceful way to go on a 1/4 acre is 4-5 hens, no rooster. Again just my opinion. The hen breeds that I think meet your criteria are: Orpingtons (Lavender and chocolate are so pretty, very sweet) Speckled Sussex, very sweet; Creme Legbar, very sweet; Any Wyandotte. Good Luck. Have Fun!!

Don't be so sure you don't have predators. My town, in a suburb of NYC, has raccoons, foxes, opossums, skunks, hawks, and eagles. A raccoon just broke into my neighbor's garage a few days ago, and also broke the lattice to get under my porch. Lots are generally 50' x 100' so we have even less space than you!

I liked my Orpington because she was heavy and couldn't fly well, but I also love Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, and Barred Rocks. If you get them as chicks and socialize with them, they will be more likely to be friendly and snuggly!

A few breeds i would suggest would be Orpingtons(Lavender, Jubilee, Chocolate, Splash, Mottled)
Wyandottes are good in heat and cold.
Australorps(blue, black, splash)
You could do Old English game bantams as well.

If you wanted feathered feet i would say cochins or brahmas

I absolutely love Buff Orpingtons❤️.
My Lavender Orpingtons aren't as cuddly as the Buff and are more easily scared of things, so I prefer the Buff.
My other favorite besides Buff Orpingtons are the Speckled Sussex. One of my SS is my strongest flyer though, so I'm not sure if that would be an issue for you.
My rooster is a Speckled Sussex and I don't think I could have asked for a better breed of rooster. He's just so sweet and kind.💕

I'm seeing a lot of Orpington, Sussex, and Wyandotte. I think I'm a little worried about the Orpingtons' ability to stay cool given...well, they're very borb. Bird-orb. But it does look like non-show birds are less round, so it'll probably be okay. I like the colors all of these come in, and they all look very cute from initial Googling.

A few breeds i would suggest would be Orpingtons(Lavender, Jubilee, Chocolate, Splash, Mottled)
Wyandottes are good in heat and cold.
Australorps(blue, black, splash)
You could do Old English game bantams as well.

If you wanted feathered feet i would say cochins or brahmas
I do not want feathered feet. I spoke to the Husband since I posted and he's very against dealing with feathery feet. That being said - I was looking into Belgian d'Anvers bantams because they're so stinkin' cute - I don't know if you (or anyone else) has any opinions about these?

...I am a little tiny bit sad that it looks like I won't have a bearded chicken. I might attempt getting an Easter Egger anyway - though if anyone has any beard-y recommendations that would fit in with some Orpingtons/Sussex/Wyandottes, I'm all ears! I finally remembered the name for Russian Orloffs, which hit all the aesthetics for me but which I can't find/keep easily.

...and a final thought: I really don't want high egg production. I know it increases the risk of reproductive issues in hens and I would rather have happy hens than eggs.

I had Easter Eggers with Orpingtons and Sussexes. Why do you think they won't fit in?
I did see that suggestion! I saw in a couple of other places that EEs are a bit more aggressive, which - I'm also a little more worried about it because each hatchery has its own recipe for making an EE. They were also a little lower on the list because I only saw them mentioned once. I'm still very tempted to get one, haha.

Back
Top Bottom