Country livin’!

HBRRanchCO

Songster
Dec 15, 2017
Simla, CO
98696146-1003-4CCE-A624-C95FC6DA5896.jpeg
051E61F2-865B-40A9-BFB7-5F0D26B82CBC.jpeg
When I signed up here about a year ago, we lived in the city, we were planning our wedding, and planning a move to the country “someday”. Well, I am beyond pleased to announce that we closed on a 40 acre place in podunk Colorado just after Christmas!

We got my horse and mini moved out here, our 4 chickens (was 5, lost one just after the move, was too much for her we think), 2 dogs, 2 parakeets, and a cat. We inherited a cat who visits the farm from time to time, we leave food and water in the garage where it has a kitty door to come and go as it pleases. We’ve seen it a grand total of like 3 times and always very briefly.

We have the chickens set up in the barn right now (just their chain link enclosure from the other house and their small coop), and planning for chicks in the next couple months to expand our laying hens. We finally just started getting eggs from our remaining girls again this week.

Our plan is to frame in and insulate the corner of the barn where they are now so we can give them a big fenced space outside to use. They have a small fenced space outside and a door to get out, but they haven’t ventured out yet. One has figured out how to fly out of the enclosure but not back in. Silly bird.

We plan to expand the layers, then this summer we will get our first batch of meat birds and give them a whirl. We are also getting ready for cows and goats and pigs and more horses! Plus plans are in the works for the biggest garden I’ve ever had (by far!).

Anyway, I knew you all would share in my excitement at not having a 6 hen limit anymore!

Thanks so much all! We are loving it so far. I was just looking at the list of chicks coming in to our local feed store and making my wish list. I think I’m up to 11, plus the order of 8 I already placed with a local place that will deliver them to us at about 4-5 weeks, plus our 4. I think 23 is good for now...so I’ll make sure we have space for like 30

View attachment 1660695 View attachment 1660696 When I signed up here about a year ago, we lived in the city, we were planning our wedding, and planning a move to the country “someday”. Well, I am beyond pleased to announce that we closed on a 40 acre place in podunk Colorado just after Christmas!

We got my horse and mini moved out here, our 4 chickens (was 5, lost one just after the move, was too much for her we think), 2 dogs, 2 parakeets, and a cat. We inherited a cat who visits the farm from time to time, we leave food and water in the garage where it has a kitty door to come and go as it pleases. We’ve seen it a grand total of like 3 times and always very briefly.

We have the chickens set up in the barn right now (just their chain link enclosure from the other house and their small coop), and planning for chicks in the next couple months to expand our laying hens. We finally just started getting eggs from our remaining girls again this week.

Our plan is to frame in and insulate the corner of the barn where they are now so we can give them a big fenced space outside to use. They have a small fenced space outside and a door to get out, but they haven’t ventured out yet. One has figured out how to fly out of the enclosure but not back in. Silly bird.

We plan to expand the layers, then this summer we will get our first batch of meat birds and give them a whirl. We are also getting ready for cows and goats and pigs and more horses! Plus plans are in the works for the biggest garden I’ve ever had (by far!).

Anyway, I knew you all would share in my excitement at not having a 6 hen limit anymore!

Congrats! Looks absolutely beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom